Carrow Road guide
Carrow Road is a football stadium in Norwich, England. It is the home of Norwich City, who play in the EFL Championship. The stadium has a capacity of 27,244 and was opened in 1935.
Table of Contents
Carrow Road is located in the east of Norwich, close to the River Wensum and Norwich railway station. The stadium is named after the road on which it is located.
The stadium has been the site of many memorable moments for Norwich City fans. In 1985, the Canaries won the League Cup, defeating Sunderland 1-0 in the final. In 2004, Norwich City won promotion to the Premier League for the first time in 27 years.
Carrow Road is a popular venue for concerts and other events. In 1990, Bob Dylan played a concert at the stadium, which attracted a crowd of 25,000 people.
Carrow Road is a well-maintained stadium and is considered to be one of the best in the Championship. The stadium is also home to a number of bars and restaurants, making it a popular destination for fans and visitors alike.
Pubs near Carrow Road for home and away fans
- The Coach and Horses – This traditional pub is a 10 minute walk from the stadium and has a wide selection of beers on offer. Address: Coach & Horses, 51 Bethel St, Norwich NR2 1NR. Phone: 01603 618522.
- The Compleat Angler – This riverside pub is a bit further away from the stadium, but it’s a great place to relax and enjoy a drink with stunning views of the river. Address: 120 Prince of Wales Rd, Norwich NR1 1NS. Phone: 01603 622425.
- Yellows – This modern bar is located inside the stadium and is a great place to watch the match with a pint. Address: Norwich City Football Club, Norwich NR1 1JE. Phone: 01603 218209.
- The Fat Cat and Canary – This traditional pub is a bit further away from the stadium, but it’s a great place to try some local ales. Address: 101 Thorpe Rd, Norwich NR1 1TR. Phone: 01603 436925.
If you’re looking for something a bit different, there are also a number of microbreweries in Norwich that offer tours and tastings. These are a great way to experience some of the best local beers.
Here are some additional tips for visiting pubs near Carrow Road as an away fan:
- Arrive early to avoid disappointment as these pubs can get very busy on matchdays.
- Be respectful of the local fans and staff.
- Enjoy your pint and the atmosphere!
Hotels near Carrow Road in Norwich, England
- Holiday Inn Norwich City is a 4-star hotel located just a 5-minute walk from Carrow Road Stadium. It offers modern rooms with free Wi-Fi, a gym, and a restaurant.
- Premier Inn Norwich Nelson City Centre is a 3-star hotel located across the road from Norwich railway station. It offers en suite rooms with free Wi-Fi, a bar, and a restaurant.
- Revado Hotel is a 3-star hotel located in a Georgian townhouse in the heart of Norwich. It offers stylish rooms with free Wi-Fi, a bar, and a restaurant.
- Travelodge Norwich Central is a budget hotel located in the city centre, just a 10-minute walk from Carrow Road Stadium. It offers en suite rooms with free Wi-Fi, a bar, and a restaurant.
How to get to the Carrow Road stadium in Norwich, England
- By car: Carrow Road is located on Carrow Road, NR1 1JE. There is a car park on site, but it can fill up quickly on match days. There are also a number of pay-and-display car parks in the surrounding area.
- By bus: There are a number of bus routes that stop near Carrow Road. The nearest bus stop is on King Street, which is a short walk from the stadium.
- By train: Norwich railway station is located a short walk from Carrow Road. From the station, follow the signs for Carrow Road.
- By bike: Carrow Road is a relatively flat walk from the city centre, so it is also possible to get there by bike. There are a number of bike racks near the stadium.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at Carrow Road
- Watch a Norwich City football match. Carrow Road is the home of Norwich City Football Club, who play in the EFL Championship. The stadium has a capacity of 27,244 and is a popular venue for both home and away fans.
- Take a tour of the stadium. The Norwich City Stadium Tour gives you a behind-the-scenes look at the stadium, including the dressing rooms, press box, and tunnel. Tours are available on match days and non-match days.
- Visit the club shop. The club shop sells a wide range of Norwich City merchandise, including shirts, hats, scarves, and other souvenirs.
- Enjoy a drink at the bar. There are a number of bars and restaurants located around the stadium, where you can enjoy a drink before or after the match.
- Explore the surrounding area. Carrow Road is located in the heart of Norwich, close to a number of other attractions, including Norwich Cathedral, the Norwich Castle Museum, and the Norwich Market.
If you are a fan of Norwich City Football Club, or simply interested in football, then Carrow Road is a great place to visit. The stadium is steeped in history and atmosphere, and there are a number of things to do both on and off the pitch.
Things to do near Carrow Road stadium in Norwich, England
- Visit Norwich Cathedral. This beautiful cathedral is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Norwich. It was founded in 1096 and is one of the best examples of Norman architecture in England.
- Explore the Museum of Norwich at the Bridewell. This museum tells the story of Norwich from its earliest days to the present. It is housed in a former prison, which was built in 1272.
- Take a walk on the Norwich Riverside Walk. This riverside path offers stunning views of the city and the River Wensum. It is a great place to go for a stroll, a run, or a bike ride.
- Visit the Norwich Castle. This Norman castle was built in 1067 and is one of the best-preserved castles in England. It houses a museum that tells the story of the castle and its role in Norwich’s history.
- Go shopping in Norwich Market. This bustling market has been selling goods for over 1,000 years. It is a great place to find fresh produce, local crafts, and souvenirs.
- Enjoy a meal at one of Norwich’s many restaurants. Norwich has a vibrant food scene, with restaurants serving everything from traditional English fare to international cuisine.
- Attend a Norwich City football match. Norwich City is a professional football club that plays in the EFL Championship, the second tier of English football. The club’s home stadium is Carrow Road.
These are just a few of the many things you can do near Carrow Road stadium in Norwich. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to have a great time exploring this vibrant city.