Hillsborough Stadium guide
Hillsborough Stadium is a historic football stadium in Sheffield, England. It has been the home of Sheffield Wednesday F.C. since its opening in 1899. The stadium has a capacity of 39,732 and is an all-seater.
Table of Contents
Hillsborough Stadium is a popular tourist destination for football fans. The stadium is also a popular venue for concerts and other events.
Here are some of the pros and cons of visiting Hillsborough Stadium:
- Historic stadium with a lot of character
- Great atmosphere on matchdays
- Good transport links
- Close to other attractions in Sheffield
- Can be difficult to get tickets for big matches
- Food and drink prices can be high
- Parking can be difficult to find
Overall, Hillsborough Stadium is a great place to watch a football match or attend a concert. The stadium is steeped in history and has a great atmosphere on matchdays. However, tickets can be difficult to get for big matches and food and drink prices can be high.
If you are planning to visit Hillsborough Stadium, here are some tips:
- Book your tickets in advance, especially for big matches
- Arrive early to avoid queues
- Take a tour of the stadium to learn about its history
- Enjoy the atmosphere on matchdays
Pubs near Hillsborough Stadium, home of Sheffield Wednesday
- The Wednesday Tap: This pub is located just a short walk from the stadium and is a popular spot for fans to pre-game. It has a wide selection of beers on tap and a menu of pub food. Located in the Stadium.
- The Old Crown Inn: This pub is also located within walking distance of the stadium and is a great option for a more traditional pub experience. It has a large beer garden and a menu of classic pub fare. Address: Old Crown Inn, 137 London Rd, Highfield, Sheffield S2 4LE. Phone: 0114 255 0163.
- Shakey: This pub is located a bit further from the stadium, but it is a popular spot for fans who want a more relaxed atmosphere. It has a wide selection of beers on tap and a menu of pub food. Address: 196 Bradfield Rd, Hillsborough, Sheffield S6 2BY. Phone: 0114 234 3374.
- The Park: This pub is located in Wadsley Bridge, which is a short walk from Hillsborough Stadium. It is a large pub with a wide selection of beers on tap and a menu of pub food. Address: Wadsley Ln, Sheffield S6 4EB. Phone: 0114 233 8293.
If you are looking for a pub with a more lively atmosphere, The Wednesday Tap or The Old Crown Inn are good options. If you are looking for a more relaxed atmosphere, The Shakey or The Park are good options.
Pubs near Hillsborough Stadium for away fans
- Railway Hotel: This pub is located on Penniston Road, which is the main A61 that runs by the stadium. It is a short walk from the ground and is a popular spot for away fans to pre-match. Address: 184 Bramall Ln, Highfield, Sheffield S2 4RF.
- Norfolk Arms: This pub is also located on Penniston Road, just a short walk from the Railway Hotel. It is a traditional English pub with a large beer garden. Address: 2 Ringinglow Rd, Sheffield S11 7TS. Phone: 0114 230 2197.
- Red Lion: This pub is located on the A61, a few miles from the stadium. It is a popular spot for away fans to stop for a drink on their way to the ground. Address: 109 Charles St, Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield S1 2ND. Phone: 0114 249 6518.
Please note that these pubs are not officially designated as away pubs, but they are known to be welcoming to away fans. It is always advisable to check with the pub before you go to make sure that they are accepting away fans on the day of the match.
Hotels near Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield, England
- The Garrison Hotel, Guardhouse Bar and Restaurant: This 19th-century guardhouse offers classic rooms with free Wi-Fi, plus a traditional restaurant.
- The Queens Ground: This pub is a short walk from the stadium and offers a variety of food and drinks.
- Alara – Bed and Breakfast: This B&B is located in a quiet residential area, a short drive from the stadium.
- William’s Hillsborough Apartments: These apartments are located a short walk from the stadium and offer self-catering accommodation.
All of these hotels have good reviews from previous guests. The Garrison Hotel is the most expensive option, while Alara – Bed and Breakfast is the most affordable.
Here are some other things to consider when choosing a hotel near Hillsborough Stadium:
- Price: Hotel prices can vary depending on the time of year, the type of room, and the amenities offered.
- Location: Some hotels are located closer to the stadium than others. This may be important if you plan on attending games or events at the stadium.
- Amenities: Some hotels offer amenities such as free Wi-Fi, parking, or breakfast. Consider which amenities are important to you when choosing a hotel.
How to get to Hillsborough Stadium
- By car: The stadium is located off of the A61 in Sheffield. If you are coming from London, take the M1 north to junction 36 and follow the A61 into Sheffield. If you are coming from Manchester, take the M1 south to junction 35 and follow the A61 into Sheffield. There is plenty of parking available at the stadium, but it can fill up quickly on match days.
- By train: Sheffield Railway Station is located in the city center, about a 2-mile walk from the stadium. There are regular trains from London and Manchester. The station is also served by the Sheffield Supertram, which can take you directly to the stadium.
- By bus: There are several bus routes that stop near the stadium. The number 53 bus goes from the city center to the stadium, and the number 77 bus goes from the railway station to the stadium.
Once you arrive at the stadium, there are several ways to get to your seats. The stadium has a number of different entrances, and you will be directed to your seat by stewards.
Here are some additional tips for getting to Hillsborough Stadium:
- Arrive early: The stadium gates open 90 minutes before kick-off, so it is advisable to arrive early to avoid long queues.
- Bring your ID: You will need to show your ID when you collect your ticket.
- Be aware of the ground rules: The stadium has a number of ground rules, such as no alcohol or smoking inside the stadium.
- Enjoy the match! Hillsborough Stadium is a great place to watch a football match. The atmosphere is electric, and the fans are passionate.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at Hillsborough Stadium
- Watch a football match. Sheffield Wednesday play their home games at Hillsborough Stadium. The club has a long and proud history, and matches at Hillsborough are always a great atmosphere.
- Take a stadium tour. The stadium offers a variety of tours, including a behind-the-scenes tour and a matchday tour. Tours are a great way to learn about the history of the stadium and the club.
- Visit the Hillsborough Memorial. The Hillsborough Memorial is located in the Hillsborough Park, next to the stadium. The memorial commemorates the 96 people who lost their lives in the Hillsborough disaster in 1989.
- Explore Hillsborough Park. Hillsborough Park is a large park located next to the stadium. The park has a variety of facilities, including a boating lake, a golf course, and a children’s play area.
If you are a fan of football or history, then Hillsborough Stadium is a great place to visit. The stadium has a rich history and is a popular tourist destination.
Things to do near Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield, England:
- Visit Hillsborough Park. This large park is located right next to the stadium and offers plenty of space for walking, running, playing sports, or just relaxing. There is also a cafe in the park, so you can grab a bite to eat or drink.
- Take a walk along the River Don. The River Don runs through Sheffield and offers a scenic route for walkers and cyclists. You can also take a boat trip on the river, which is a great way to see the city from a different perspective.
- Visit the National Emergency Services Museum. This museum tells the story of the emergency services in the UK, from the fire brigade to the police and ambulance service. There are exhibits on everything from firefighting to bomb disposal.
- Go shopping in Sheffield City Centre. Sheffield has a vibrant city centre with a wide range of shops, from high street stores to independent boutiques. There are also plenty of restaurants and cafes, so you can find something to eat to suit all tastes.
- See a show at the Crucible Theatre. The Crucible Theatre is one of the UK’s leading theaters and hosts a wide range of productions, from plays and musicals to comedy and dance.
These are just a few of the many things you can do near Hillsborough Stadium. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to have a great time in Sheffield.