Portman Road Stadium guide
Portman Road is a football stadium in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. It has been the home ground of Ipswich Town F.C. since 1884. The stadium has a capacity of 29,673.
Table of Contents
Portman Road has hosted many England youth international matches, and one senior England friendly international match, against Croatia in 2003. It has also staged several other sporting events, including athletics meetings and international hockey matches, musical concerts and Christian events.
The stadium underwent significant redevelopments in the early 2000s, which increased the capacity from 22,600 to a current figure of 29,673, making it the largest-capacity football ground in East Anglia.
Pubs near Portman Road Stadium for home and away fans
- The Dove Street Inn is a 10 minute walk from the stadium and is a popular spot for both home and away fans. It has a wide selection of real ales and ciders, as well as a good range of food. Address: 76 St. Helen’s St, Ipswich IP4 2LH. Phone: 01473 211270.
- The Station Hotel is a 1 minute walk from the train station and is a popular spot for both home and away fans. It has a large bar and a restaurant. Address: Burrell Rd, Ipswich IP2 8AJ. Phone: 01473 683622.
If you are looking for a more unique experience, you could try one of the following:
- The Cricketers (Wetherspoons) is a 10 minute walk from the stadium and is a former cricket ground that has been converted into a pub. It has a large beer garden and a good range of food. Address: 51 Crown St, Ipswich IP1 3JA. Phone: 01473 225910.
Hotels near Portman Road Stadium in Ipswich, UK:
- Premier Inn Ipswich Town Centre (Quayside): This hotel is a 10-minute walk from the stadium and offers modern rooms with free Wi-Fi. It also has a restaurant and bar.
- Pentahotel Ipswich: This hotel is a 15-minute walk from the stadium and has stylish rooms with city views. It also has a spa, fitness center, and rooftop terrace.
- easyHotel Ipswich Town Centre: This budget hotel is a 10-minute walk from the stadium and offers simple rooms with free Wi-Fi. It also has a 24-hour reception and vending machines.
- Mermaid by Marston’s Inns: This charming hotel is a 15-minute walk from the stadium and has a traditional pub, restaurant, and bar. It also has a garden and terrace.
These are just a few of the many hotels near Portman Road Stadium. When choosing a hotel, consider your budget, needs, and preferences.
How to get to Portman Road Stadium in Ipswich, England
- By car: Portman Road Stadium is located at Portman Road, Ipswich IP1 2DA. If you are driving, you can follow the A12 or A14 to Ipswich. Once in Ipswich, follow the signs for Portman Road Stadium. There is a car park at the stadium, but it can fill up quickly on match days.
- By train: Ipswich railway station is located in the town centre, a short walk from Portman Road Stadium. There are regular trains from London Liverpool Street and other major cities.
- By bus: There are several bus routes that stop near Portman Road Stadium. The nearest bus stop is on Sir Alf Ramsey Way.
Once you arrive at Portman Road Stadium, you will find a number of bars and restaurants in the area. There is also a fan zone with activities for children.
Here are some additional tips for getting to Portman Road Stadium:
- Arrive early: On match days, Portman Road Stadium can get very crowded. It is advisable to arrive early to avoid long queues.
- Buy tickets in advance: Tickets for Ipswich Town games can be bought online or at the stadium ticket office.
- Dress for the weather: Ipswich can be a cold and wet city, so it is advisable to dress in layers.
- Enjoy the game!: Portman Road Stadium is a great place to watch a football match. The atmosphere is electric and the fans are passionate.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at Portman Road Stadium
- Watch a football match: Portman Road is the home of Ipswich Town Football Club, so if you’re a fan of the Tractor Boys, this is a must-do. The stadium has a capacity of 30,316, and the atmosphere on matchdays is electric.
- Take a tour of the stadium: Portman Road is over 100 years old, and it has a rich history. You can learn about the club’s history and see some of the behind-the-scenes areas on a guided tour.
- Visit the club shop: The club shop sells a wide range of Ipswich Town merchandise, including shirts, scarves, and hats. You can also buy tickets for future matches at the shop.
- Enjoy a drink at the stadium’s FanZone: The FanZone is a large marquee located outside the stadium. It has a bar, a food court, and a screen where you can watch matches from other leagues.
- Explore the surrounding area: Portman Road is located in the heart of Ipswich. There are plenty of things to see and do in the town, including visiting the Ipswich Museum, the Ipswich Art Gallery, and the Ipswich Maritime Museum.
Things to do near Portman Road Stadium
- Visit the New Wolsey Theatre, a world-class theater that hosts a variety of performances, from plays and musicals to comedy and dance.
- Explore the Ipswich Museum, which has a collection of over 100,000 objects that tell the story of Ipswich and Suffolk.
- Take a walk or bike ride along the River Orwell, which flows through Ipswich.
- Visit Christchurch Park, a large park with gardens, a lake, and a playground.
- Go shopping in the Ipswich town center, which has a variety of stores, from high street brands to independent boutiques.
- Enjoy a meal at one of the many restaurants in Ipswich, which offer a variety of cuisines.
If you are looking for something to do on a rainy day, here are a few suggestions:
- Visit the Ipswich Art Gallery, which has a collection of over 5,000 paintings, sculptures, and other works of art.
- Go bowling at the Ipswich Bowlplex.
- See a movie at the Ipswich Cineworld.
- Play games at the Ipswich Escape Rooms.
If you’re planning a visit to Portman Road Stadium, I hope this gives you some ideas of what to do.