Vicarage Road Stadium guide
Vicarage Road Stadium is a football stadium in Watford, England. It is the home ground of Watford Football Club and has a capacity of 21,577. The stadium has been in use since 1922 and has undergone a number of redevelopments over the years.
Table of Contents
The stadium is named after the road on which it is located, which in turn is named after the nearby Vicarage of St Mary’s Church. The stadium is situated in the town centre, close to Watford High Street and Watford Junction railway station.
In recent years, Vicarage Road Stadium has undergone a number of redevelopments, including the construction of a new stand on the Rookery Road side of the stadium. The stadium is now one of the most modern in the Championship and is well-equipped to host top-level football.
Pubs near Vicarage Road, home of Watford FC
- The Oddfellows is a popular pub for Watford fans, located just a short walk from the stadium. It has a large beer garden and a lively atmosphere on match days.
- The Hogs Head is another popular pub for Watford fans, located on the High Street. It has a traditional English pub feel and a wide range of beers on offer.
- The Moon Under Water (Wetherspoons) is a more upmarket pub located on the High Street. It has a good selection of cocktails and wines, as well as a wide range of beers. Address: 44 High St, Watford WD17 2BS. Phone: 01923 223559.
- Macs Bar is an away fans pub, located a short walk from the stadium. It has a friendly atmosphere and a good selection of beers. Fearnley St, Watford WD18 0RD.
If you’re looking for something a little different, you could try one of the following:
- Two Trees Micro is a microbrewery with a taproom on Vicarage Road. It’s a great place to try some locally-brewed beers.
- Gabriel’s Bar & Lounge is a bar and grill with a large outdoor seating area. It’s a great place to watch the sun set over the stadium.
Pubs near Vicarage Road for away fans
- The Oddfellows: This pub is located just a short walk from Vicarage Road and is a great place to meet up with other away fans before the match. It has a large beer garden and a barbecue, so you can enjoy a drink and a bite to eat before the game.
- Macs Bar: This pub is also located close to Vicarage Road and is another popular choice for away fans. It has a lively atmosphere and a good selection of beers. Fearnley St, Watford WD18 0RD.
- The Moon Under Water: This Wetherspoons pub is located in the town centre and is a good option if you’re looking for a more relaxed atmosphere. It has a wide range of drinks and food. Address: 44 High St, Watford WD17 2BS. Phone: 01923 223559.
Hotels near Vicarage Road, Watford
- Leonardo Hotel London Watford is a 4-star hotel with modern rooms and a variety of amenities, including a fitness center, restaurant, and bar. It is located just a 5-minute walk from Vicarage Road Stadium.
- Travelodge Watford Central is a 3-star hotel with bright, contemporary rooms and free Wi-Fi. It is located in the heart of Watford town center, just a short walk from Vicarage Road Stadium.
- Premier Inn Watford Central is a 3-star hotel with en suite family rooms, free parking, and an on-site restaurant. It is located just a 10-minute walk from Vicarage Road Stadium.
- Best Western White House Hotel is a 3-star hotel with warm rooms, free Wi-Fi, and a cozy bar. It is located a short drive from Vicarage Road Stadium.
- Sopwell House is a 5-star hotel with a luxurious spa, award-winning restaurant, and stunning gardens. It is located a short drive from Vicarage Road Stadium.
These are just a few of the many hotels near Vicarage Road. When choosing a hotel, it is important to consider your budget, desired amenities, and location.
How to get to Vicarage Road, the home stadium of Watford Football Club
- By train: The nearest train stations are Watford High Street and Watford Junction. From Watford High Street, it is a 10-minute walk to the stadium. From Watford Junction, it is a 20-minute walk. There is also a dedicated football station called Vicarage Road station, which is only open on match days. This station is located just a short walk from the stadium.
- By bus: There are several bus routes that stop near Vicarage Road. The most convenient routes are the 72, 74, and 75. These buses stop on Vicarage Road itself, just a short walk from the stadium.
- By car: There is limited parking available at Vicarage Road. However, there are several car parks in the surrounding area. The closest car parks are the Holywell Primary School car park, the Watford Grammar School for Boys car park, and the Westfield Academy car park. These car parks are all within a short walk of the stadium.
Once you have arrived at Vicarage Road, you will find that the stadium is well sign-posted. There are also stewards on hand to help you find your way to your seat.
Here are some additional tips for getting to Vicarage Road:
- If you are travelling by train, it is advisable to book your tickets in advance. This will help to avoid disappointment, as trains can get very busy on match days.
- If you are travelling by car, it is advisable to arrive early. This will give you plenty of time to find a parking space and make your way to the stadium.
- Be aware that there will be a lot of people at Vicarage Road on match days. Please be patient and courteous to other fans.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at Vicarage Road
- Watch a Watford FC match. The Hornets are a popular Championship club with a passionate fan base. Tickets are usually easy to get, and the atmosphere on match days is electric.
- Visit the Watford FC Museum. The museum tells the story of the club from its founding in 1881 to the present day. It features trophies, memorabilia, and interactive exhibits.
- Take a tour of the stadium. Tours are available on match days and non-match days. You’ll get to see the players’ tunnel, the dressing rooms, and the pitch.
- Have a drink at the Hornets Nest. The Hornets Nest is the club’s official supporters’ bar. It’s a great place to meet fellow fans and watch the match.
- Explore the town of Watford. Watford is a vibrant town with plenty to see and do. There are shops, restaurants, bars, and historical sites to explore.
Here are some other things to consider when planning your visit to Vicarage Road:
- The stadium is located in the town center, so it’s easy to get to by public transport.
- There is a limited amount of parking available at the stadium. It’s recommended to park in the town center and walk to the stadium.
- Tickets for Watford FC matches can be purchased online or at the stadium box office.
- The stadium is open to the public on non-match days for tours and events.
Things to do near Vicarage Road, Watford
- Visit Cassiobury Park, a large park with a variety of attractions, including a lake, a playground, and a boating lake.
- Take a walk or bike ride through Whipsnade Wood, a beautiful wooded area with plenty of wildlife.
- See a show at Watford Palace Theatre, a historic theater that hosts a variety of performances, from plays to musicals to concerts.
- Visit the Hertfordshire Regiment Museum, which tells the story of the Hertfordshire Regiment from its formation in 1685 to the present day.
- Explore the Watford Museum, which has exhibits on the history of Watford and the surrounding area.
- Go shopping at The Harlequin, a large shopping center with over 100 stores.
- Have a meal at one of the many restaurants in Watford, which offer a variety of cuisines.
If you are looking for something a little more adventurous, you could try:
- Go for a hike or climb in Oxhey Wood, a popular spot for outdoor activities.
- Visit Bhaktivedanta Manor, a Hindu temple that is open to the public for tours.
- Take a boat trip on the Grand Union Canal, which runs through Watford.
No matter what you choose to do, you are sure to have a great time in Watford.