Bloomfield Road stadium guide
Bloomfield Road is a football stadium in Blackpool, Lancashire, England, which has been the home of Blackpool Football Club since 1901. It is the third stadium in the club’s existence, the previous two being Raikes Hall Gardens and the Athletic Grounds.
Table of Contents
The stadium has a capacity of 17,338, all seated. It is a single-tier stadium with four stands: the Sir Stanley Matthews Stand (west), the Bloomfield Road Stand (south), the Mortensen Kop (north) and the PNE Family Stand (east). The Sir Stanley Matthews Stand is the largest stand at the stadium, with a capacity of 7,800. It was opened in 2002 and is named after Blackpool’s most famous player, Sir Stanley Matthews. The Bloomfield Road Stand is the oldest stand at the stadium, dating back to 1901. It has a capacity of 4,500. The Mortensen Kop is the second largest stand at the stadium, with a capacity of 5,000. It is named after Stan Mortensen, who is Blackpool’s all-time leading goalscorer. The PNE Family Stand is the newest stand at the stadium, having been opened in 2010. It has a capacity of 2,000.
Bloomfield Road is a popular stadium for both home and away fans. It is known for its atmosphere and its close proximity to the pitch. The stadium has hosted a number of major matches, including FA Cup semi-finals and England Under-21 internationals.
In 2016, Blackpool Football Club announced plans to redevelop Bloomfield Road. The proposed redevelopment would see the construction of a new stand on the east side of the stadium, increasing the capacity to 22,000. The redevelopment is currently in the planning stages.
Bloomfield Road is a historic stadium with a rich history. It is a popular stadium for both home and away fans and has hosted a number of major matches. The stadium is currently undergoing a redevelopment that will see the capacity increased to 22,000.
Pubs near Bloomfield Road Stadium, home of Blackpool FC
- The Corner Flag is a popular pub with Blackpool FC fans. It’s located just a short walk from the stadium and has a great atmosphere on match days. Address: Bloomfield Rd, Blackpool FY1 6JJ. Phone: 01253 599344.
- The Bloomfield Brewhouse is a microbrewery pub with a wide selection of beers on tap. It also has a good food menu and is a great place to watch a match. Address: 47 Ansdell Rd, Blackpool FY1 6PW. Phone: 01253 693219.
- The Waterloo is a family-friendly pub with a large garden. It’s a great place to relax before or after a match. Address: 166 Waterloo Rd, Blackpool FY4 2AF.
- The Bridge is a traditional English pub with a warm and friendly atmosphere. It’s a great place to meet up with friends and enjoy a drink. Address: 124 Lytham Rd, Blackpool FY1 6DZ. Phone: 01253 402798.
These are just a few of the many pubs near Bloomfield Road Stadium. With so many options to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect place to enjoy a drink and watch the match.
Pubs near Bloomfield Road Stadium for away fans
- The Bridge: This pub is a 3-minute walk from the stadium and has a large selection of beers, wines, and spirits. It also has a food menu that includes burgers, pizzas, and other pub classics. Address: 124 Lytham Rd, Blackpool FY1 6DZ. Phone: 01253 402798.
- The New Philly Family Bar: This pub is also located in the town centre and has a more relaxed atmosphere. It has a good selection of beers on tap and a menu of pub food. Address: 68-70 Foxhall Rd, Blackpool FY1 5BL. Phone: 01253 627229.
- The Velvet Coaster: Contemporary Wetherspoons pub offering a range of ales and British grub in a seaside venue with a terrace. Address: 501-507 Promenade, Blackpool FY4 1BA. Phone: 01253 362180.
Hotels near Bloomfield Road Stadium in Blackpool, England
- Blackpool FC Stadium Hotel. This 4-star hotel is located within the stadium itself and offers stunning views of the pitch. It has a variety of amenities, including a restaurant, bar, and fitness centre.
- Travelodge Blackpool South Shore. This budget-friendly hotel is a short walk from the stadium and offers free Wi-Fi and parking. It has a restaurant and bar.
- The Clarendon. This charming guesthouse is a 10-minute walk from the stadium and offers en-suite rooms and free Wi-Fi. It has a garden and a terrace.
- The Woodfield Hotel. This family-run hotel is a 15-minute walk from the stadium and offers en-suite rooms and free Wi-Fi. It has a bar and a breakfast room.
If you are looking for a more luxurious stay, there are also a number of 5-star hotels located near Bloomfield Road Stadium, such as the Hilton Blackpool and the The Sands Hotel & Spa.
When choosing a hotel, it is important to consider your budget, needs, and preferences. If you are traveling with children, you may want to choose a hotel with family-friendly amenities, such as a pool or playground. If you are looking for a luxurious stay, you may want to choose a hotel with a spa or other amenities.
How to get to Bloomfield Road Stadium
- From London, take the M1 north to the M6. Follow the M6 north to junction 31A, then take the A6 to Blackpool. Turn right onto Yeadon Way and follow it to Seasiders Way. Bloomfield Road Stadium will be on your left.
- From Manchester, take the M6 south to junction 31A, then take the A6 to Blackpool. Turn right onto Yeadon Way and follow it to Seasiders Way. Bloomfield Road Stadium will be on your left.
- Blackpool North Station is the closest train station to Bloomfield Road Stadium. From London, take a train to Preston and then change for a train to Blackpool North. From Manchester, take a train to Blackpool North directly.
- Once you arrive at Blackpool North Station, follow the signs for Bloomfield Road Stadium. It is a short walk from the station to the stadium.
- There are several bus routes that stop near Bloomfield Road Stadium. From London, take a National Express coach to Blackpool and then get off at the stop on Yeadon Way. From Manchester, take a Megabus coach to Blackpool and then get off at the stop on Yeadon Way.
- Once you get off the bus, follow the signs for Bloomfield Road Stadium. It is a short walk from the bus stop to the stadium.
- Blackpool town centre is a short walk from Bloomfield Road Stadium. From the town centre, follow the signs for Bloomfield Road Stadium. It is a 15-20 minute walk from the town centre to the stadium.
Once you arrive at Bloomfield Road Stadium, there is plenty of parking available. There is also a pay-and-display car park located next to the stadium.
If you are attending a match at Bloomfield Road Stadium, it is advisable to arrive early as there can be large crowds. There are a number of pubs and restaurants in the area where you can enjoy a drink or a meal before the match.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at Bloomfield Road Stadium
- Watch a Blackpool FC match. The stadium is home to the EFL League One club, and tickets are usually reasonably priced.
- Take a tour of the stadium. Tours are available on match days and non-match days, and they give you a behind-the-scenes look at the stadium.
- Visit the Blackpool FC museum. The museum is located in the stadium, and it tells the story of the club from its formation in 1887.
- Enjoy the views from the stadium. The stadium is located on the seafront, and it offers stunning views of Blackpool and the Irish Sea.
- Visit the nearby attractions. There are a number of attractions located near Bloomfield Road Stadium, including Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Madame Tussauds Blackpool, and the Blackpool Tower.
If you are a fan of football or just want to experience a bit of British culture, then a visit to Bloomfield Road Stadium is a great idea.
Here are some other things to keep in mind when planning your visit:
- The stadium is located in the town centre of Blackpool, so it is easy to get to by public transport or car.
- There are a number of hotels and restaurants located near the stadium, so you will have no trouble finding a place to stay or eat.
- The stadium is open all year round, but it is busiest during the football season (August to May).
- Tickets for Blackpool FC matches can be bought online or at the stadium on match days.
- Tours of the stadium and the museum are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Things to do near Bloomfield Road Stadium in Blackpool
- Visit the Blackpool Tower. It is a landmark attraction in Blackpool, offering stunning views of the town and the surrounding area. You can also take a ride on the Blackpool Tower Eye, a 138-meter-high observation wheel.
- Go on a tram tour. The Blackpool Tramway is a historic tram system that offers a fun and unique way to see the town. You can hop on and off at any stop along the way.
- Visit the Sea Life Aquarium. This aquarium is home to over 1,500 different species of marine life, including sharks, rays, and fish.
- Take a walk along the Promenade. The Promenade is a long, sandy beach that is perfect for a walk, a run, or a bike ride. There are also plenty of shops, restaurants, and arcades along the way.
- See a show at the Blackpool Opera House. This theatre hosts a variety of shows, from musicals to plays to concerts.
- Visit the Winter Gardens. This complex is home to a variety of attractions, including a theatre, a concert hall, a casino, and a bowling alley.
- Go on a ghost tour. Blackpool is said to be haunted by a number of ghosts, and there are a number of ghost tours that you can take to learn more about the town’s spooky history.
These are just a few of the many things you can do near Bloomfield Road Stadium in Blackpool. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to have a great time exploring this seaside town.