Brunton Park stadium guide
Brunton Park is a football stadium in Carlisle, Cumbria, England. It is the home ground of Carlisle United and has a capacity of 17,949. The stadium was opened in 1909 and has undergone a number of redevelopments over the years. The most recent redevelopment was completed in 2012 and included the construction of a new East Stand.
Table of Contents
Brunton Park is a traditional English football stadium with four stands. The Warwick Road End is the oldest stand at the stadium and is located behind the south goal. The East Stand is the newest stand at the stadium and is located behind the east goal. The Main Stand is located behind the west goal and is the largest stand at the stadium. The Petteril End is located behind the north goal and is the smallest stand at the stadium.
Brunton Park is a popular venue for football matches and has hosted a number of high-profile matches over the years. The stadium has also hosted a number of non-football events, including concerts and rugby union matches.
Brunton Park is a well-maintained stadium and is a popular destination for football fans. The stadium is located in a convenient location in the city of Carlisle and is easily accessible by car, train, and bus.
Here are some of the notable events that have taken place at Brunton Park:
- The stadium hosted its first match on 2 September 1909, a 2-0 victory for Carlisle United over Newcastle United.
- In 1953, the grandstand at Brunton Park burned down. The stadium was rebuilt and reopened in 1954.
- In 2005, Brunton Park was flooded after heavy rain. The stadium was closed for several weeks while repairs were carried out.
- In 2012, a new East Stand was opened at Brunton Park. The stand increased the stadium’s capacity to 17,949.
- Brunton Park has hosted a number of high-profile matches over the years, including FA Cup and League Cup ties.
- The stadium has also hosted a number of non-football events, including concerts and rugby union matches.
Pubs near Brunton Park stadium, home of Carlisle United for home and away fans
- Beehive: This pub is a popular spot for both locals and visitors alike. It has a wide selection of beers on tap, as well as a menu of pub food. Address: Warwick Rd, Carlisle CA1 1LH. Phone: 01228 549731.
- Lakeland Gate: This pub is part of the Brewers Fayre chain, and it offers a more casual dining experience. The menu features classic pub fare, as well as a selection of beers and wines. Address: Walkmill Cres, Carlisle CA1 2WF. Phone: 01228 810280.
- Carlisle Rugby Club: This club has a bar that is open to the public on match days. It’s a great place to watch the game and socialize with other fans. Address: Rugby Ground, Warwick Rd, Carlisle CA1 1LW. Phone: 01228 521300.
- Howard Arms: This pub is located in the town centre, just a short walk from the stadium. It has a traditional English pub atmosphere, and it’s a great place to enjoy a pint of beer before or after the game. Address: 107 Lowther St, Carlisle CA3 8ED. Phone: 01228 648398.
- The Magpie: This pub is located on Victoria Road, which is a main road leading to the stadium. It’s a large pub with a big beer garden and a good selection of food and drink. Address: 28 Victoria Rd, Carlisle CA1 2UE. Phone: 01228 402165.
Hotels near Brunton Park Stadium in Carlisle, England
- Premier Inn Carlisle Central is a modern hotel with a good location, just a short walk from the stadium. It has free Wi-Fi and en suite rooms.
- ibis Carlisle City Centre is another good option, with comfortable rooms and a restaurant on site. It’s also within walking distance of the stadium.
- Travelodge Carlisle Central is a budget hotel with basic rooms, but it’s clean and functional. It’s also within walking distance of the stadium.
- Crown & Mitre Hotel is a more luxurious option, with a spa and a restaurant. It’s a short drive from the stadium, but there is a free shuttle service available.
If you’re looking for something a little more unique, you could try one of the following:
- The Halston is a boutique hotel with stylish rooms and a great location, just a short walk from the city centre and the stadium.
- Warwick Lodge Guest House is a charming guest house with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. It’s a short walk from the stadium and the city centre.
- Cornerways Guest House is another great option, with comfortable rooms and a friendly staff. It’s a short walk from the stadium and the city centre.
No matter what your budget or style, there’s a hotel near Brunton Park Stadium to suit your needs.
How to get to Brunton Park stadium in Carlisle, England
- By car: Brunton Park is located on Warwick Road, just off the A69 road. There is a large car park at the stadium, which is open for all home and away matches. The car park costs £5 to park.
- By bus: There are a number of bus services that stop near Brunton Park. The nearest bus stops are on Warwick Road and Scotch Street. The bus fare is £2.20 for a single journey.
- By train: Carlisle railway station is located just a short walk from Brunton Park. The train fare from London Euston to Carlisle is £50 for a single journey.
Once you arrive at Brunton Park, you will find that there is a number of food and drink outlets, as well as a souvenir shop. There is also a large screen in the stadium where you can watch replays of the match or other sporting events.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at Brunton Park stadium
- Watch a Carlisle United match. This is the main reason most people come to Brunton Park. Carlisle United is a professional football club that competes in League Two, the fourth tier of English football. They have a long and proud history, and their matches are always exciting.
- Take a stadium tour. If you are not able to make it to a match, you can still learn about the history of Brunton Park and Carlisle United by taking a stadium tour. Tours are conducted by former players and staff, and they give you a behind-the-scenes look at the stadium.
- Visit the Carlisle United museum. The Carlisle United museum is located in the Pioneer Foods Stand at Brunton Park. It tells the story of the club from its formation in 1876 to the present day. The museum is open to the public on match days and by appointment.
- Enjoy a drink at the Brunton Park Social Club. The Brunton Park Social Club is located in the Warwick Road End of the stadium. It is a great place to go for a drink before or after a match. The club has a wide selection of beers, wines, and spirits, and it also serves food.
- Walk around the stadium. Even if you are not a football fan, it is still worth taking a walk around Brunton Park. The stadium is located in a beautiful setting, and it is a great place to take in the views of Carlisle city.
If you are planning a visit to Brunton Park, I recommend checking the club’s website for the latest information on match schedules, tours, and museum opening hours.
Things to do near Brunton Park stadium in Carlisle, home of Carlisle United
- Visit Tullie House Museum and Art Gallery. It is a museum and art gallery in Carlisle, Cumbria, England. It is housed in a Georgian townhouse and has a collection of fine art, archaeological finds, and social history exhibits.
- Explore Hadrian’s Wall. Hadrian’s Wall is a UNESCO World Heritage Site that runs for 80 miles across the English countryside. It was built by the Romans in the 2nd century AD to protect their empire from the northern tribes.
- Take a walk through the Eden Valley. The Eden Valley is a beautiful area of countryside in Cumbria. It is known for its rolling hills, orchards, and vineyards.
- Visit the Cumberland Pencil Museum. The Cumberland Pencil Museum is a museum in Keswick, Cumbria, England. It tells the story of the pencil industry in the region, which began in the 17th century.
- Go for a hike in the Lake District. The Lake District is a national park in Cumbria, England. It is famous for its lakes, mountains, and forests.
- Visit the city of Carlisle. Carlisle is a historic city with a castle, cathedral, and museums.
These are just a few ideas for things to do near Brunton Park stadium. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to have a great time exploring the area.