Highbury Stadium guide
Fleetwood Town Football Club has played its home games at Highbury Stadium since 1939. The stadium is located in Fleetwood, Lancashire, England, and has a capacity of 5,127.
Table of Contents
The stadium was originally opened in 1939, but the first football match was not played there until 1946, after the end of World War II. The stadium has undergone a number of redevelopments over the years, most recently in 2008, when new stands were built behind the goals and on one side of the pitch.
Fleetwood Town have had a number of notable moments at Highbury Stadium. In 2014, they won promotion to League One for the first time in their history. They also reached the FA Cup fourth round in 2015 and 2017.
Highbury Stadium is a popular venue for football matches and other events. It has hosted a number of international matches, including England Under-21s matches and a friendly between England and Wales. The stadium has also hosted concerts and other events.
Here is a brief history of Fleetwood Town Football Club at Highbury Stadium:
- 1939: The stadium is opened.
- 1946: The first football match is played at the stadium.
- 1968: Fleetwood Town join the Northern Premier League.
- 1976: Fleetwood Town fold.
- 1977: Fleetwood Town are reformed.
- 1987: Fleetwood Town join the Alliance Premier League.
- 2002: Fleetwood Town join the Football Conference.
- 2008: The stadium is redeveloped.
- 2014: Fleetwood Town are promoted to League One.
- 2015: Fleetwood Town reach the FA Cup fourth round.
- 2017: Fleetwood Town reach the FA Cup fourth round.
Highbury Stadium is a historic venue that has played host to many memorable moments for Fleetwood Town Football Club. The stadium is a popular destination for football fans and other event-goers, and it is sure to continue to be a central part of the Fleetwood community for many years to come.
Pubs near Highbury Stadium, home of Fleetwood Town for home and away fans
- The Strawberry Gardens Pub and Bistro is a popular spot for locals and visitors alike. It offers a wide selection of beers, wines, and spirits, as well as a menu of pub classics and more upscale dishes. The pub is also known for its live music and comedy nights. Address: Poulton Rd, Fleetwood FY7 6TF. Phone: 01253 771991.
- The Royal Oak Pub is another great option for a pre-game pint. This traditional pub has a warm and inviting atmosphere, and it’s always busy on match days. The pub offers a wide selection of beers on tap, as well as a menu of pub favourites. Address: Royal Oak Hotel, 171 Lord St, Fleetwood FY7 6SR. Phone: 01253 873486.
- The Three Lights is a bit further away from Highbury Stadium, but it’s worth the walk. This award-winning pub has a stunning view of the sea, and it offers a wide selection of beers, wines, and spirits. The pub also has a menu of seafood dishes, which are perfect for a post-match meal. Address: Herring Arm Rd, Lancashire FY7 6NB. Phone: 01253 872281.
If you’re looking for a more casual option, there are a number of bars and restaurants located near Highbury Stadium. These places are perfect for grabbing a bite to eat or a drink before or after the game.
Here are a few of the most popular options:
- The Steamers is a traditional fish and chip shop that’s been serving Fleetwood for over 100 years. The fish is fresh and the chips are crispy, and it’s the perfect spot to grab a quick bite before the game. Address: 3 Queen’s Ter, Fleetwood FY7 6BT. Phone: 01253 681001.
- Piscis Fish and Chips is another great option for fish and chips. This family-run business has been serving Fleetwood for over 20 years, and it’s known for its fresh fish and friendly service. Address: 92 Poulton Rd, Fleetwood FY7 6TF. Phone: 01253 771380.
- The Trafalgar is a popular pub and restaurant that’s located just a short walk from Highbury Stadium. The pub has a wide selection of beers on tap, and the restaurant offers a menu of pub favourites and more upscale dishes. Address: 40-42 N Albert St, Fleetwood FY7 6AR. Phone: 01253 872266
No matter what your taste, you’re sure to find the perfect place to enjoy a pre-game pint or a post-match meal in Fleetwood.
Hotels near Highbury Stadium, home of Fleetwood Town FC:
- New Boston Hotel. It offers simple rooms with free Wi-Fi and a cooked breakfast. It is 0.3 miles from the stadium.
- The North Euston Hotel. It has stylish rooms with sea views. It has a restaurant, bar and gym. It is 0.2 miles from the stadium.
- Wavecrest. It is a family-run hotel with en suite rooms. It has a garden and free parking. It is 0.4 miles from the stadium.
- Norbreck Castle Hotel. It is a 5-star hotel with a spa, restaurants and bars. It is 1.5 miles from the stadium.
Here are some more hotels that are a bit further away but still within walking distance of the stadium:
- Fleetwood Hotel. It is a 3-star hotel with a restaurant and bar. It is 0.7 miles from the stadium.
- The Esplanade Hotel. It is a 4-star hotel with a spa, restaurants and bars. It is 1 mile from the stadium.
- The Midland Hotel. It is a 4-star hotel with a restaurant and bar. It is 1.2 miles from the stadium.
How to get to Highbury Stadium
- By car: The stadium is located on Highbury Avenue in Fleetwood, which is about 7 miles from Blackpool. From Blackpool, take the A585 north towards Fleetwood. Turn left onto Copse Road and follow it to the stadium.
- By train: The nearest train station is Blackpool North, which is about 2 miles from the stadium. From Blackpool North, take the tram to Fleetwood. Get off at the Fleetwood Central stop and walk to the stadium.
- By bus: There are several bus services that stop near the stadium. The most popular bus is the number 14, which runs from Blackpool town centre to Fleetwood. Get off at the stop called “Highbury Avenue” and walk to the stadium.
Once you arrive at the stadium, there is plenty of parking available. There is also a public car park located on Copse Road, which is a short walk from the stadium.
If you are planning on attending a match at Highbury Stadium, it is advisable to arrive early. The stadium can get very crowded, especially for big matches. There are also a number of bars and restaurants located near the stadium, so you can enjoy a drink or a meal before the match.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at Highbury Stadium in Fleetwood Town
- Watch a Fleetwood Town football match. The stadium is home to Fleetwood Town Football Club, who play in League One, the third tier of English football.
- Take a tour of the stadium. The stadium offers a tour that takes you around the ground, including the changing rooms, pitch, and press box.
- Visit the Fleetwood Town Museum. The museum tells the story of Fleetwood Town Football Club, from its formation in 1908 to the present day.
- Enjoy a meal at one of the restaurants near the stadium. There are a number of restaurants within walking distance of the stadium, serving a variety of cuisines.
- Take a walk along the seafront. Fleetwood is a seaside town, and there is a beautiful seafront promenade that is a great place to walk, relax, and enjoy the views.
- Visit the Fleetwood Fishermen’s Memorial. The Fleetwood Fishermen’s Memorial is a monument to the fishermen who lost their lives at sea. It is a moving and sobering reminder of the dangers of the fishing industry.
If you are a fan of football or history, then Highbury Stadium is a great place to visit. There is plenty to see and do at the stadium, and you can also explore the surrounding town of Fleetwood.
Things to do near Highbury Stadium
- Visit the Fleetwood Museum. This museum tells the story of Fleetwood, from its origins as a fishing village to its development as a seaside resort.
- Take a walk along the Promenade. The Promenade is a beautiful walkway that runs along the coast of Fleetwood. It’s a great place to enjoy the views of the sea and the Blackpool Tower.
- Go shopping at the Affinity Outlet Lancashire. This outlet mall has over 100 stores, where you can find discounts on designer brands.
- Take a ferry to Knott End-on-Sea. Knott End-on-Sea is a charming village located on a peninsula just outside of Fleetwood. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy the scenery.
- Visit Farmer Parrs Animal World. This petting farm is a great place for families with young children. It has over 100 animals, including pigs, goats, sheep, and chickens.
- Go for a hike in the Winterton Dunes. The Winterton Dunes are a beautiful nature reserve located just outside of Fleetwood. They’re a great place to go for a hike or a bike ride.
These are just a few ideas for things to do near Highbury Stadium in Fleetwood Town. There are many other things to see and do in this vibrant seaside town. Fleetwood is also very close to Blackpool and all the attractions that come with it.