Memorial Stadium guide
The Memorial Stadium is a sports ground in Bristol, England, and is the home of Bristol Rovers F.C. It opened in 1921 dedicated to the memory of local rugby union players killed during the First World War, and was the home of Bristol Rugby club until they moved to Ashton Gate in 2014.
Table of Contents
The stadium has a capacity of 12,300 and is all-seater. The main stand is called the Memorial Stand and is located behind the goal at the southern end of the pitch. The other three stands are the East Stand, the West Stand and the Family Stand.
Pubs near the Memorial Stadium, home of Bristol Rovers FC, for home and away fans
- The Crafty Cow: This pub is a popular spot for both locals and visitors, and it offers a wide selection of beers, wines, and cocktails. It also has a menu of pub food and a large outdoor seating area. Address: 635 Gloucester Rd, Bristol BS7 0BJ.
- The Royal Oak: This traditional pub is a great place to watch a match or just relax with a drink. It has a friendly atmosphere and a good selection of beers on tap. Address: 385 Gloucester Rd, Horfield, Bristol BS7 8TR. Phone: 0117 332 7657.
- The Lazy Dog: This gastropub is known for its creative dishes and its extensive wine list. It also has a large outdoor terrace that is perfect for sunny days. Address: 112 Ashley Down Rd, Bishopston, Bristol BS7 9JR. Phone: 0117 924 4809.
- The Wellington: This pub is a bit further from the stadium, but it is worth the walk for its selection of real ales and its traditional atmosphere. Address: Gloucester Rd, Horfield, Bristol BS7 8UR.
- The Annexe Inn: This pub is located on Seymour Road, a short walk from the stadium. It is a bit further away from the stadium than the other two pubs, but it is a great place to find a traditional English pub atmosphere. Address: Seymour Rd, Bishopston, Bristol BS7 9EQ. Phone: 0117 942 7525.
- The Drapers Arms: This micropub is a great place to try some of the best beers that Bristol has to offer. It is also a popular spot for live music. Address: 447 Gloucester Rd, Bristol BS7 8TZ.
These are just a few of the many pubs that are located near the Memorial Stadium in Bristol. With so many options to choose from, you are sure to find the perfect place to enjoy a drink and a bite to eat before or after a match.
Hotels near the Memorial Stadium in Bristol
- Holiday Inn Express Bristol – Filton, an IHG Hotel is a 3-star hotel located 0.9 miles (1.4 km) from the stadium. It has free WiFi, a fitness centre, and a bar.
- Premier Inn Bristol Filton is a 2-star hotel located 0.8 miles (1.3 km) from the stadium. It has free WiFi, a restaurant, and a bar.
- The Wellington is a 4-star hotel located 1.2 miles (1.9 km) from the stadium. It has a restaurant, a bar, and a garden.
- The Crafty Cow is a 3-star hotel located 1.3 miles (2.1 km) from the stadium. It has a restaurant, a bar, and a games room.
- Hilton Garden Inn Bristol City Centre is a 4-star hotel located 2.2 miles (3.5 km) from the stadium. It has free WiFi, a fitness centre, and a bar.
How to get to the Memorial Stadium in Bristol
- Car: The Memorial Stadium is located at Filton Avenue, Horfield, Bristol BS13 9NR. If you are driving, you can exit the M32 at junction 2 and follow the signs for Horfield. The stadium is located on Filton Avenue, on the left-hand side. There is a car park at the stadium, but it can fill up quickly on match days.
- Bus: There are a number of bus services that stop near the Memorial Stadium. The nearest bus stop is on Filton Avenue, just outside the stadium. Buses numbers 73, 74, and 75 all stop at this stop.
- Train: The nearest train station is Filton Abbey Wood. From the station, it is a 15-minute walk to the stadium.
- Taxi: Taxis are also available from the city centre and from the train station.
If you are planning on attending a match at the Memorial Stadium, it is advisable to arrive early, especially on match days. The stadium can get very busy, and parking spaces can be limited.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at the Memorial Stadium, home of Bristol Rovers
- Watch a Bristol Rovers FC match. Bristol Rovers FC is a professional football club that plays in League Two, the fourth tier of English football. The club has been playing at the Memorial Stadium since 1996.
- Attend a concert or other event. The Memorial Stadium is a popular venue for concerts and other events. In recent years, the stadium has hosted performances by artists such as Ed Sheeran, The Killers, and Coldplay.
- Take a tour of the stadium. The Memorial Stadium offers tours that give visitors a behind-the-scenes look at the stadium, including the dressing rooms, the pitch, and the press box.
- Enjoy a meal or drink at the stadium’s hospitality suite. The stadium’s hospitality suite offers a variety of food and drink options, as well as stunning views of the pitch.
- Visit the Bristol Rovers FC museum. The Bristol Rovers FC museum is located in the stadium’s West Stand. The museum tells the story of the club’s history, from its humble beginnings to its current status as a professional football club.
Things to do near the Memorial Stadium in Bristol
- Visit the Bristol Zoo. The zoo is home to over 4,000 animals from all over the world. It is a great place to learn about animals and their habitats.
- Go for a walk or bike ride along the Avon Gorge. The gorge is a beautiful natural area with stunning views of the city.
- Take a boat trip on the Avon River. This is a great way to see the city from a different perspective.
- Visit the Clifton Suspension Bridge. The bridge is a famous landmark in Bristol. It is a great place to take photos and enjoy the views.
- Explore the city center. Bristol is a vibrant city with a lot to offer visitors. There are plenty of shops, restaurants, and bars to explore.
If you are looking for something to do on a rainy day, here are a few suggestions:
- Visit the Bristol Museum and Art Gallery. The museum has a collection of over 350,000 objects, including paintings, sculptures, and artifacts from around the world.
- Go to the cinema. There are several cinemas in Bristol showing a variety of films.
- Visit a pub or bar. Bristol has a great selection of pubs and bars to choose from.
- See a show at the Bristol Old Vic. The Bristol Old Vic is a famous theatre company that has been performing in Bristol for over 200 years.
I hope this gives you some ideas for things to do near the Memorial Stadium in Bristol.