Oakwell Stadium guide
Oakwell Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England. It is the home of Barnsley Football Club and has a capacity of 23,287. The stadium was opened in 1888 and has been renovated several times since then. The most recent renovation was completed in 2016.
Table of Contents
Oakwell Stadium is a classic football stadium with a traditional atmosphere. It is one of the few remaining grounds in England to have its floodlights on corner pylons. The stadium is also home to the Barnsley FC Academy and several training pitches.
Oakwell Stadium is a popular destination for football fans and is a great place to watch a match. The stadium is located in a convenient location and is easy to get to by car or public transport.
Here are some of the things you can do at Oakwell Stadium:
- Watch a Barnsley Football Club match
- Take a tour of the stadium
- Use the facilities at the Barnsley FC Academy
- Play on one of the training pitches
- Attend an event at the stadium
If you are a football fan, then Oakwell Stadium is a great place to visit. The stadium has a rich history and is a great place to watch a match.
Pubs near Oakwell Stadium, home of Barnsley FC, for home and away fans
- The Dove Inn: This pub is a 5 minute walk from the stadium and is a popular spot for both home and away fans. It has a wide selection of beers on tap and a good food menu. Address: 102 Doncaster Rd, Barnsley S70 1TP. Phone: 01226 288351.
- The Manx Arms: This pub is a 10 minute walk from the stadium and is a more traditional pub with a focus on real ale. It has a friendly atmosphere and is a good place to go before the match. Address: 32 Sheffield Rd, Barnsley S70 1HP. Phone: 01226 292992.
- The Mount: This pub is a 15 minute walk from the stadium and is a gastropub with a modern menu. It has a large beer garden and is a good place to relax after the match. Address: 32 Pontefract Rd, Barnsley S71 1AB.
- Barnsley East Dene Working Men’s Club: This is a friendly club located on Dene Road, about a 10-minute walk from the stadium. It is a popular spot for both home and away fans, and it has a good selection of beers, wines, and spirits. The club also has a pool table and a darts board. Address: Barnsley East Dene Working Mens Club, 111 Doncaster Rd, Barnsley S70 1UD. Phone: 07705 968360.
If you’re looking for something a little different, you could try one of the following:
- The Metrodome: This leisure centre has a bar and restaurant with views of the stadium. It’s a good option if you want to avoid the crowds and have a more relaxed atmosphere. Address: Queens Ground, Queens Rd, Barnsley S71 1AN. Phone: 01226 730060.
- The Garrison: This pub is a short walk from the town centre and is a popular spot for live music. It’s a good option if you’re looking for something to do after the match. Address: Hanson St, Barnsley S70 2HZ.
- The Old Town Hall is a historic pub located in the town centre. It is a popular spot for both home and away fans, and it has a good selection of beers, wines, and spirits. The pub also has a traditional English menu, including fish and chips, bangers and mash, and shepherd’s pie. Address: 4 High St, Wombwell, Barnsley S73 0AW. Phone: 01226 984466.
Hotels near Oakwell Stadium in Barnsley, UK
- Premier Inn Barnsley Central M1 J37 is a 3-star hotel with free Wi-Fi and on-site parking. It is a 10-minute walk from Oakwell Stadium and 2 miles from Barnsley town centre.
- Travelodge Barnsley is a 2-star hotel with free Wi-Fi and on-site parking. It is a 15-minute walk from Oakwell Stadium and 1.5 miles from Barnsley town centre.
- ibis Styles Barnsley is a 3-star hotel with free Wi-Fi and on-site parking. It is a 10-minute drive from Oakwell Stadium and 2 miles from Barnsley town centre.
- Holiday Inn Barnsley M1, JCT.37, an IHG Hotel is a 4-star hotel with free Wi-Fi, an indoor pool, and a spa. It is a 10-minute drive from Oakwell Stadium and 2 miles from Barnsley town centre.
How to get to Oakwell Stadium, Home of Barnsley FC
- By car: Oakwell Stadium is located at Oakwell Lane, Barnsley S71 1ET. To get there by car, take the M1 motorway to junction 37 and follow the signs for Barnsley. Once in Barnsley, follow the signs for Oakwell Stadium. There is a car park at the stadium, but it can get busy on match days.
- By train: Barnsley Interchange is the nearest train station to Oakwell Stadium. Trains run from Sheffield, Leeds, and Manchester. From the station, it is a short walk to the stadium.
- By bus: There are several bus routes that stop near Oakwell Stadium. The nearest bus stops are on Oakwell Lane and Doncaster Road.
If you are planning to attend a match at Oakwell Stadium, it is advisable to arrive early as parking and public transport can get busy.
Here are some additional details about getting to Oakwell Stadium by each method:
- By car: The car park at Oakwell Stadium is open from 2 hours before kick-off until 1 hour after the final whistle. There is a charge for parking, but it is free for disabled visitors.
- By train: Barnsley Interchange is a modern transport hub with a range of facilities, including shops, cafes, and toilets. The station is located on the Sheffield to Manchester line and is served by Northern Rail.
- By bus: Buses to Oakwell Stadium run from several locations in Barnsley, including the town centre, the train station, and the Metrodome Leisure Centre. The buses are operated by First South Yorkshire.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at Oakwell Stadium
- Watch a Barnsley FC match. Oakwell Stadium is the home of Barnsley FC, a professional football club that competes in the Championship, the second tier of English football. The stadium has a capacity of 23,287 and is known for its passionate atmosphere.
- Take a tour of the stadium. The stadium offers a guided tour that takes you behind the scenes and gives you a closer look at the facilities. The tour includes a visit to the players’ dressing room, the press box, and the pitch.
- Attend a special event. Oakwell Stadium is also used for a variety of other events, such as concerts, conferences, and corporate functions. The stadium has hosted a number of high-profile events, including Rugby League games.
- Visit the Oakwell Museum. The Oakwell Museum is located on the stadium grounds and tells the story of Barnsley FC and the history of Oakwell Stadium. The museum has a collection of memorabilia, including trophies, photographs, and kits.
- Enjoy the surrounding area. Oakwell Stadium is located in the town of Barnsley, which is in the South Yorkshire region of England. The town has a number of attractions, including the Barnsley Museum, the Town Hall, and the MetroCentre shopping mall.
Here are some additional tips for your visit to Oakwell Stadium:
- Buy your tickets in advance. Tickets for Barnsley FC matches are often sold out, so it is advisable to buy your tickets in advance. Tickets can be purchased online or at the stadium box office.
- Arrive early. The stadium gates open two hours before kick-off, so it is advisable to arrive early to avoid the crowds.
- Dress for the weather. The weather in South Yorkshire can be unpredictable, so it is advisable to dress for all weather conditions.
- Bring your camera. Oakwell Stadium is a beautiful stadium and you will want to capture your memories on camera.
- Be respectful of the other fans. Oakwell Stadium is a passionate football ground and it is important to be respectful of the other fans.
Things to do near Oakwell Stadium in Barnsley, South Yorkshire
- Visit the Barnsley Museum and Discovery Centre. This museum tells the story of Barnsley from its early days to the present day.
- Take a walk or bike ride through Cannon Hall Park. This beautiful park has plenty of space to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
- Visit the National Coal Mining Museum for England. This museum tells the story of coal mining in England and is a great place to learn about the history of this important industry.
- Take a trip to Wentworth Castle Gardens. These stunning gardens are home to a variety of plants and flowers, as well as a number of historical buildings.
- Visit the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. This world-renowned sculpture park is home to a collection of over 2,500 sculptures.
- Take a walk along the River Don. This river flows through Barnsley and is a great place to enjoy the scenery and wildlife.
- Visit the town of Barnsley itself. This historic town has plenty of shops, restaurants, and pubs to explore.
These are just a few suggestions of things to do near Oakwell Stadium. There are many other attractions in the area, so you’re sure to find something to keep you entertained.