Sixfields Stadium guide
Sixfields Stadium is a 7,798-capacity all-seater sports stadium in the Sixfields area on the west side of Northampton, England. It has been the home ground of Northampton Town Football Club following their move from the County Ground in October 1994. It was also rented by Coventry City between July 2013 and August 2014. Aside from being a sports venue, Sixfields also houses conference facilities.
Table of Contents
The stadium was built on the site of a former sewage works and was designed by architects HOK Sport. The main stand is two-tiered and contains the majority of the stadium’s seating, while the other three stands are single-tiered. The stadium has a capacity of 7,798, with all seats being covered.
In 2018, the stadium was renamed the PTS Academy Stadium in a five-year corporate sponsorship deal. The stadium will revert to its original name, Sixfields Stadium, in July 2023.
Pubs near Sixfields Stadium, home of Northampton Town FC, for home and away fans
- Sixfields Tavern is a Hungry Horse pub located within the Sixfields Leisure Park. It has a large selection of beers on tap, as well as a menu of pub classics. Address: Sixfields Leisure, Northampton NN5 5QL. Phone: 01604 751799.
- Walter Tull is a Greene King pub located on Walter Tull Way. It has a more traditional atmosphere than the Sixfields Tavern, and offers a wider range of food and drink options. Address: Walter Tull Way, Sixfields, Northampton NN5 5QL. Phone: 01604 215510.
- The Hopping Hare is a micropub located on St James Road. It has a small but well-curated selection of beers, and a friendly atmosphere. Address: 18 Hopping Hill Gardens, Northampton NN5 6PF. Phone: 01604 580090.
- The Squirrels Inn is a country pub located in Wootton. It is a short drive from Sixfields Stadium, and is a popular destination for locals and visitors alike. Address: 31-33 Main Rd, Duston, Northampton NN5 6JF. Phone: 01604 758978.
- The Three Horseshoes is a traditional pub located in Upton. It is a short walk from Sixfields Stadium, and is a great place to watch a match or enjoy a pint with friends. Address: 23 High St, Ecton, Northampton NN6 0QA. Phone: 01604 407446.
- The Sevens is a Craft Union pub located on Weedon Road, a 10-minute walk from the stadium. It has a modern, stylish interior and a wide range of craft beers, cocktails, and wines. Address: 157 Weedon Rd, Northampton NN5 5BS. Phone: 01604 759749.
Hotels near Sixfields Stadium in Northampton, England
- Travelodge Northampton Upton Way is a budget hotel with free parking and a 24-hour front desk. It is 0.6 miles (1 km) from Sixfields Stadium.
- Park Inn by Radisson Northampton Town Centre is a mid-range hotel with a restaurant, bar, and fitness center. It is 0.7 miles (1.1 km) from Sixfields Stadium.
- ibis Northampton Centre is a budget hotel with a restaurant and bar. It is 0.8 miles (1.3 km) from Sixfields Stadium.
- Premier Inn Northampton Town Centre Hotel is a mid-range hotel with a restaurant and bar. It is 0.9 miles (1.4 km) from Sixfields Stadium.
- Hilton Northampton is a luxury hotel with a spa, fitness center, and restaurants. It is 1.2 miles (1.9 km) from Sixfields Stadium.
How to get to Sixfields Stadium, home of Northampton Town FC
- By car: Sixfields Stadium is located at Sixfields, Northampton NN1 5UX. The stadium is signposted from the A45, A452 and A428. There is a large car park at the stadium, which costs £5 to park on matchdays.
- By bus: There are several bus routes that stop near Sixfields Stadium. The nearest bus stops are on Sixfields Road and Stimpson Road. The bus fare is £2.20 for a single adult ticket.
- By train: The nearest train station is Northampton Railway Station. The station is a 10-minute walk from the stadium.
If you are planning on driving to Sixfields Stadium, it is advisable to arrive early as parking can get busy on matchdays. There is also a drop-off zone at the stadium for disabled visitors.
Once you have arrived at Sixfields Stadium, there are several places to eat and drink. There is a large bar in the main stand, as well as a number of smaller cafes and restaurants in the surrounding area.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at Sixfields Stadium
- Watch a Northampton Town Football Club match. The stadium is home to the League Two club, and there are usually plenty of tickets available for matches.
- Take a tour of the stadium. The stadium offers a behind-the-scenes tour, which includes a visit to the changing rooms, the players’ tunnel, and the press box.
- Visit the Northampton Town club shop. The club shop sells a wide range of Northampton Town merchandise, including shirts, scarves, and hats.
- Have a drink at the Sixfields Stadium bar. The bar offers a range of drinks, including beer, wine, and soft drinks. There is also a food menu available.
- Enjoy the views from the stadium. The stadium has excellent views of the surrounding area, including the River Nene and the Northampton skyline.
Things to do near Sixfields Stadium in Northampton, England:
- Visit the Abbey Quarter, a historic area of Northampton with cobbled streets, old buildings, and a number of independent shops and restaurants.
- Take a walk or bike ride along the River Nene, which runs through Northampton. There are a number of parks and open spaces along the river, perfect for a relaxing day out.
- Visit the Northampton Museum and Art Gallery, which has a collection of exhibits on the history of Northampton and the surrounding area.
- Go to a Northampton Town football match at Sixfields Stadium.
- Visit the Royal & Derngate, a theatre that hosts a variety of performances, including plays, musicals, and concerts.
- Take a trip to Braunston, a village about 5 miles from Northampton, to see the Braunston Boats, a collection of historic narrowboats.
- Visit the Nene Valley Railway, a heritage railway that runs between Northampton and Wellingborough.
These are just a few of the many things you can do near Sixfields Stadium. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to have a great time exploring Northampton.