Blundell Park guide
Blundell Park is a football stadium in Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, England and home to Grimsby Town Football Club. It was built in 1899, but only one of the original stands remains. The current capacity of the ground is 9,052, after being made all-seater in summer 1995, reducing the number from around 27,000. Several relegations in previous years meant the expansion seating was also taken away; that reduced the capacity further from around 12,000 to what it is now.
Table of Contents
The stadium is named after Peter Blundell whose money enabled Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge to buy the land in 1616. The opening match was a Football League Second Division fixture against Luton Town on 2 September 1899, with 4,000 spectators seeing the teams draw 3–3. In 1901 a new Main Stand was built on the northern side of the ground.
The stadium has been renovated several times over the years, most recently in 2003 when the Osmond Stand was rebuilt. The stadium is now a Category 3 ground, the third-highest category in English football.
Blundell Park is known for its atmosphere and its proximity to the sea. The stadium is located just a few hundred yards from the beach, and on a sunny day the sound of the waves can be heard from inside the ground.
The stadium is also home to the Mariners Trust, a supporters’ group that works to improve the facilities at the ground and to promote the club. The Trust has been instrumental in raising funds for the redevelopment of the Osmond Stand, and it continues to work to make Blundell Park a better place for fans.
Pubs near Blundell Park, home of Grimsby Town FC
- Rutland Arms is a traditional English pub with a wide selection of real ales and a good menu. It’s located about a 10-minute walk from the stadium. Address: 26-30 Rutland St, Grimsby DN31 3AF. Phone: 01472 268732.
- Punch Bowl is a family-friendly pub with a large beer garden. It’s located about a 15-minute walk from the stadium. Address: 195 North Promenade, Cleethorpes DN35 8SJ. Phone: 01472 696056.
- Spiders Web is a lively pub with a wide range of drinks and a good selection of food. It’s located about a 10-minute walk from the stadium. Address: 180 Carr Ln, Old Clee, Grimsby DN32 8LN. Phone: 01472 692065.
- Number 1 Pub is a modern pub with a large screen for watching sports. It’s located right next to the railway station, so it’s a convenient option for those arriving by train. Address: No1 refreshment rooms, 1 station approach, Cleethorpes DN35 8AX. Phone: 01472 696221.
Here are some pubs near Blundell Park that are popular with away fans:
- The Tivoli Tavern is a craft beer pub located in the town centre. It has a large selection of local and international beers, as well as a menu of pub food. Address: 14 Old Market Pl, Freshney Place, Grimsby DN31 1DT. Phone: 0121 272 5499.
- The Scratching Post is a traditional English pub located in the town centre. It has a large selection of beers on tap, as well as a menu of pub food. Address: 38 High St, Cleethorpes DN35 8JN. Phone: 01472 501119.
If you’re looking for something a little different, there are also a few microbreweries in the area, such as Docks Beers and Willy’s Bar. These breweries offer a unique range of beers that you won’t find anywhere else.
No matter what you’re looking for in a pub, you’re sure to find something to your taste near Blundell Park.
Hotels near Blundell Park stadium in Cleethorpes, England:
- Harrington House is a charming guest house located just a short walk from the stadium. It offers comfortable rooms and a delicious breakfast.
- The Burlington Hotel is a more luxurious option with a spa and fitness centre. It is also within walking distance of the stadium.
- Clee Hotel is a family-friendly hotel with a swimming pool and playground. It is located a short drive from the stadium.
- Holiday Inn Express Grimsby is a budget-friendly option with free Wi-Fi and a breakfast buffet. It is located about a 10-minute drive from the stadium.
If you are looking for something a little more unique, there are also a few bed and breakfasts located near the stadium. These offer a more personal experience and can be a great way to meet other fans.
Here are a few of the most popular bed and breakfasts near Blundell Park Stadium:
- Megs Island Guest House is a cozy guest house located on a quiet street just a short walk from the stadium.
- Arlana Guest House is a family-run guest house with friendly staff and comfortable rooms. It is located a short drive from the stadium.
- The Bays Clee Rd is a charming guest house located in a Victorian townhouse. It is located a short walk from the stadium.
No matter what your budget or needs, there is sure to be a hotel or bed and breakfast near Blundell Park Stadium that is perfect for you.
How to get to Blundell Park stadium in Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, England
Take the A180 to Grimsby and follow the signs for Cleethorpes. Blundell Park stadium is on the left-hand side of the road, just after the McDonalds. There is no dedicated parking at the stadium, but there is street parking available.
The nearest train station to Blundell Park stadium is Cleethorpes. From the station, it is a 15-minute walk to the stadium. Exit the station and turn right onto Station Road. Follow Station Road until you reach the High Street. Turn left onto the High Street and continue until you reach the roundabout. At the roundabout, take the third exit onto Grimsby Road. Blundell Park stadium is on the left-hand side of the road, just after the McDonalds.
There are a number of bus services that stop near Blundell Park stadium. The nearest bus stop is on the High Street, just a short walk from the stadium. The following bus services stop at this bus stop:
- Number 9: Grimsby Town Centre – Cleethorpes
- Number 13: Grimsby Docks – Cleethorpes
- Number 46: Grimsby Town Centre – Cleethorpes Railway Station
There is a cycle path that runs from Grimsby Town Centre to Cleethorpes. The cycle path passes close to Blundell Park stadium and there is a cycle stand at the stadium.
Once you arrive at Blundell Park stadium, you will be able to find the entrance on Harrington Street. The stadium is open two hours before kick-off for home matches.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do near Blundell Park stadium
- Visit the Time Trap Museum. This museum is housed in a former town hall and jail, and it features exhibits on the history of Grimsby, including its fishing industry.
- Take a walk or bike ride on the Cleethorpes Coastal Walkway. This 6-mile path runs along the coast of Cleethorpes, and it offers stunning views of the North Sea.
- Visit the Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre. This museum tells the story of Grimsby’s fishing industry, which was once one of the most important in the world.
- Go for a swim or sunbathe on Cleethorpes Beach. This long, sandy beach is a popular spot for locals and tourists alike.
- Visit the Waltham Windmill. This 6-storey windmill was built in 1880, and it is still in working order.
- Take a ride on the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway. This narrow-gauge railway runs along the coast of Cleethorpes, and it offers a unique way to see the area.
- Visit the Remembrance Gate. This gate was erected in 1920 to commemorate the soldiers who died in World War I.
- Explore the Haverstoe Park Pavilion. This Victorian pavilion is now a popular venue for events and concerts.
- Visit the Dudley the Donkey statue. This statue is a popular landmark in Grimsby, and it is dedicated to the donkeys that were used in the fishing industry.
These are just a few of the many things you can do near Blundell Park stadium. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to have a great time exploring this part of Lincolnshire.