Rodney Parade Stadium guide
Rodney Parade is a multi-use stadium in Newport, South Wales. It is the home ground of Newport County A.F.C. and the Dragons regional rugby union team. The stadium has a capacity of 8,700 for rugby union and 7,850 for football.
Table of Contents
Rodney Parade was opened in 1877 and has been used for a variety of sports, including cricket, tennis, and athletics. The stadium was the first in Wales to install floodlights, which were first used in a rugby match in 1879. Rodney Parade has also hosted several Wales international rugby matches, including a 3-0 victory over the All Blacks in 1905.
In 2012, Rodney Parade underwent a major redevelopment, which included the construction of a new grandstand and the installation of a hybrid grass pitch. The redevelopment was completed in time for the start of the 2012-13 season.
Rodney Parade is a popular venue for both rugby union and football matches. The stadium has a good atmosphere and is well-supported by both sets of fans.
Here are some of the things you can do at Rodney Parade:
- Watch a Newport County A.F.C. or Dragons rugby union match.
- Take a tour of the stadium.
- Visit the club shop.
- Enjoy a drink or meal in the stadium’s hospitality suites.
- Take in the views of the River Usk and the city of Newport from the stadium’s terraces.
Rodney Parade is a great place to watch a sporting event. It is a historic stadium with a good atmosphere and is well-supported by both sets of fans.
Pubs near Rodney Parade stadium, home of Newport County AFC
- The Dodger: This pub is located on Chepstow Road, just a short walk from the stadium. It has a wide range of beers on tap, as well as a good selection of food. Address: 6-8 Chepstow Rd, Newport NP19 8EA. Phone: 01633 212910.
- The Windsor Castle: This pub is also located on Chepstow Road, and it is a popular spot for both locals and visitors. It has a traditional English pub atmosphere, and it is known for its live music. Address: 19 Upper Dock St, Newport NP20 1DH. Phone: 01633 546975.
- The Cross Keys: This pub is located on Market Street, in the heart of Newport city center. It is a popular spot for pre-match drinks, and it has a wide range of beers on tap. Address: Cross Keys Hotel, 9 Market St, Newport NP20 1FU. Phone: 01633 264373.
If you are looking for a more unique experience, you could try one of the following pubs:
- The Tiny Rebel: This brewery taproom is located in the city center, and it is a great place to try some local craft beer. Address: 22 High St, Newport NP20 1FX. Phone: 07377 414205.
- The Ye Olde Murenger: This pub is a historic building that dates back to the 15th century. It is a great place to experience some traditional Welsh pub culture. Address: 52 High St, Newport NP20 1GA
No matter what your taste, you are sure to find a pub to your liking near the Rodney Parade stadium.
Hotels near Rodney Parade stadium in Newport, Wales
- Mercure Newport is a 4-star hotel located in the city centre, just a 10-minute walk from the stadium. It has a fitness centre, a sauna, and a steam room. Guests can enjoy a buffet breakfast each morning.
- Gateway Hotel is a 3-star hotel located just a 5-minute walk from the stadium. It has a bar and a restaurant. Guests can enjoy free Wi-Fi and parking.
- Silurian Hotel is a 4-star hotel located in the city centre, just a 15-minute walk from the stadium. It has a bar and a restaurant. Guests can enjoy free Wi-Fi and parking.
- ibis budget Newport is a budget hotel located just a 10-minute walk from the stadium. It has a bar and a restaurant. Guests can enjoy free Wi-Fi and parking.
These are just a few of the many hotels near Rodney Parade stadium. When choosing a hotel, it is important to consider your budget and your needs. If you are looking for a luxurious stay, then the Mercure Newport is a good option. If you are looking for a more affordable option, then the ibis budget Newport is a good choice.
How to get to Rodney Parade stadium, home of Newport County AFC
- By car: Rodney Parade is located on Rodney Road, a short walk from the city’s central bus and railway stations via Newport Bridge or Newport City footbridge. There is no spectator car park at the ground but a number of multi-storey car parks are nearby. The nearest car park is the NCP Newport Bridge car park, which is a five-minute walk from the stadium.
- By bus: There are a number of bus services that stop near Rodney Parade. The nearest bus stop is on Rodney Road, opposite the stadium.
- By train: Newport railway station is a five-minute walk from Rodney Parade.
Once you arrive at Rodney Parade, you will find that the stadium is well sign-posted. There are also a number of stewards on hand to help you find your way to your seat.
Here are some additional tips for getting to Rodney Parade stadium:
- Allow plenty of time to get to the stadium, especially if you are travelling by car.
- Be aware that there may be traffic congestion around the stadium on match days.
- If you are travelling by car, it is advisable to book a parking space in advance.
- There is a strict bag policy in place at Rodney Parade stadium. Only small bags are allowed inside the stadium.
- There is a number of bars and restaurants in the stadium, but it is advisable to arrive early to avoid queues.
- There is a disabled access entrance at the stadium.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do near Rodney Parade stadium in Newport, Wales
- Visit the Newport Museum and Art Gallery. The museum has a collection of over 25,000 objects, including paintings, sculptures, and archaeological finds.
- Take a walk or bike ride along the River Usk. The riverside path is a great way to see some of Newport’s most popular attractions, such as the Transporter Bridge and the Newport Castle.
- Explore the Chartist St Davids Centre. This centre tells the story of the Chartist movement, a working-class political movement that emerged in the 19th century.
- Enjoy a meal at one of Newport’s many restaurants. The city has a wide variety of dining options, from traditional Welsh cuisine to international fare.
- Take a trip to the nearby town of Caerleon. Caerleon was once a Roman town, and it is now home to a number of Roman ruins, including a bathhouse and an amphitheatre.
If you are looking for something to do on a rainy day, you can visit one of Newport’s many indoor attractions, such as the Newport City Museum and Art Gallery, the Newport Transporter Bridge, or the Newport Castle.
Here are some other ideas for things to do near Rodney Parade stadium:
- Visit the Newport City Footbridge. The footbridge offers stunning views of the city and the River Usk.
- Take a boat trip on the River Usk. The boat trips offer a unique perspective of the city and its surroundings.
- Go shopping at Friars Walk Shopping Centre. Friars Walk is a large shopping centre with over 100 stores.
- See a show at the Riverfront Theatre. The Riverfront Theatre is a popular venue for concerts, plays, and musicals.
I hope this gives you some ideas for things to do near Rodney Parade stadium.