The Racecourse Ground guide
The Racecourse Ground is a football stadium in Wrexham, Wales. It is the home of Wrexham A.F.C. and is the oldest international football stadium in the world that still hosts international matches. It has a capacity of 10,771.
Table of Contents
The Racecourse Ground was built in 1807 and was originally used for horse racing. It was first used for football in 1864 and hosted its first Wales international match in 1877. The stadium has been renovated several times over the years, most recently in 2009.
The Racecourse Ground is a popular tourist destination and is often used for concerts and other events. It is also a popular spot for football fans from all over the world to come and watch a match.
Pubs near The Racecourse Ground, home of Wrexham AFC
- The Turf Hotel is a traditional pub with a large garden, located just a 5-minute walk from the ground. It is a popular spot for both home and away fans, and is known for its friendly atmosphere and wide range of beers. Address: Mold Rd, Wrexham LL11 2AH. Phone: 07810 323806.
- The Horse & Jockey is another popular pub for pre-match drinks, located just a short walk from the ground on Hope Street. It is a family-friendly pub with a large selection of drinks and food. Address: 32 Hope St, Wrexham LL11 1BG.
- Plas Coch is a more upmarket pub located in the centre of Wrexham, a 10-minute walk from the ground. It has a modern interior and a large outdoor terrace, and is known for its pizzas and steaks. Address: Plas Coch, Wrexham LL11 2BW. Phone: 01978 261470.
- The Bank is a traditional Welsh pub located in the centre of Wrexham, a 10-minute walk from the ground. It has a wide range of beers and a friendly atmosphere. Address: 43 High St, Wrexham LL13 8HY. Phone: 01978 266669.
- The Lemon Tree is a gastropub located in the centre of Wrexham, a 10-minute walk from the ground. It has a modern interior and a focus on using fresh, local ingredients. Address: 29 Rhosddu Rd, Wrexham LL11 2LP. Phone: 01978 261211.
Hotels near The Racecourse Ground in Wrexham
- Premier Inn Wrexham Town Centre is a 3-star hotel located just a 10-minute walk from the racecourse. It offers modern rooms with free Wi-Fi, as well as a restaurant and bar.
- Ramada Plaza by Wyndham Wrexham is a 4-star hotel located just 2 miles from the racecourse. It offers spacious rooms with flat-screen TVs, as well as a fitness centre and an indoor pool.
- The Lemon Tree Restaurant With Rooms is a 4-star hotel located in a historic building in the centre of Wrexham. It offers stylish rooms with en suite bathrooms, as well as a restaurant serving modern British cuisine.
- Wynnstay Arms Hotel by Marston’s Inns is a 3-star hotel located in a Georgian townhouse in the centre of Wrexham. It offers comfortable rooms with en suite bathrooms, as well as a bar and a restaurant.
These are just a few of the many hotels available near The Racecourse Ground in Wrexham. When choosing a hotel, it is important to consider your budget, your needs, and your preferences.
How to get to The Racecourse Ground, Wrexham football ground
- By car: The Racecourse Ground is located on Mold Road, Wrexham, LL11 2AH. If you are coming from Chester or Oswestry, take the A483 to Wrexham and exit at the Mold junction. Follow the signs for the Racecourse Ground and it will be on your right.
- By train: The nearest train station to The Racecourse Ground is Wrexham General Station. From the station, it is a short walk to the ground.
- By bus: There are several bus routes that stop near The Racecourse Ground. The nearest bus stop is on Chester Road, just a short walk from the ground.
Once you arrive at The Racecourse Ground, there is plenty of parking available. There is also a public car park on Mold Road, which is a short walk from the ground.
The Racecourse Ground is a popular tourist destination, so it is important to plan your visit in advance. If you are planning to attend a match, it is advisable to book your tickets in advance.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Here are some of the things you can do at The Racecourse Ground:
- Watch a Wrexham A.F.C. match
- Take a tour of the stadium
- Visit the Wrexham Museum, which is located next to the ground
- Enjoy a meal at one of the many restaurants or pubs in the area
The Racecourse Ground is a great place to visit for a day out. There is something for everyone, whether you are a football fan or just looking for a fun day out.
Things to do near The Racecourse Ground in Wrexham
- Visit Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most iconic landmarks in Wales. You can walk or cycle along the aqueduct, or take a boat trip on the Llangollen Canal.
- Explore Erddig, a National Trust property that was once home to a wealthy Welsh family. The house is full of period furniture and art, and the gardens are beautiful.
- Visit the Wrexham County Borough Museum, which tells the story of Wrexham from its early days to the present. The museum has a variety of exhibits, including a Roman fort, a Victorian kitchen, and a World War II bomb shelter.
- Take a walk or bike ride in Alyn Waters Country Park, a 2,000-acre park with forests, lakes, and rivers. There are also several walking and cycling trails in the park.
- Visit the Catrin Finch Centre, a music and arts venue that hosts a variety of events, from concerts to exhibitions.
- Enjoy a meal at one of Wrexham’s many restaurants, pubs, or cafes.
If you are looking for something to do in the evening, you could try one of the following:
- See a show at the William Aston Hall, a theater that hosts a variety of performances, from plays to concerts.
- Go to a bar or club in Wrexham’s town center.
- Take a walk or bike ride along the River Dee, which runs through Wrexham.
I hope this gives you some ideas for things to do near The Racecourse Ground in Wrexham.