Wham Stadium guide
The Wham Stadium (formerly known as the Crown Ground) is a football stadium in Accrington, Lancashire, England. It is the home ground of Accrington Stanley, who compete in League One, the third tier of English football. The stadium has a capacity of 5,450, of which 3,100 are seated.
Table of Contents
The Wham Stadium was opened in 1968 as a replacement for the club’s previous home, Peel Park. The stadium was originally named the Crown Ground, but was renamed the Wham Stadium in 2016 as part of a three-year sponsorship deal with What More UK Ltd.
The Wham Stadium is a compact stadium with a sloping pitch. The stadium has three stands: the HML Recycling Jack Barrett Main Stand, the Farleys Solicitors Clayton End, and the Whinney Hill Stand. The Jack Barrett Main Stand is the largest stand at the stadium and houses the majority of the home supporters. The Clayton End is the smallest stand at the stadium and is home to the most vocal home supporters. The Whinney Hill Stand is a covered stand that is used for both home and away supporters.
The Wham Stadium is a popular destination for football fans. The stadium has a friendly atmosphere and is well-supported by the local community. The stadium is also easily accessible by public transport.
Here are some of the things you can do at the Wham Stadium:
- Watch a football match: Accrington Stanley play their home matches at the Wham Stadium. The club compete in League One, the third tier of English football.
- Take a tour of the stadium: The Wham Stadium offers guided tours for fans. Tours take approximately 45 minutes and cost £5 for adults and £3 for children.
- Visit the club shop: The club shop sells a variety of Accrington Stanley merchandise, including shirts, scarves, and hats.
- Have a drink at the stadium bar: The stadium bar is open on match days and serves a variety of drinks and food.
If you are a football fan, then the Wham Stadium is a great place to visit. The stadium is a friendly and welcoming environment and is well-supported by the local community.
Pubs near the Wham Stadium, home of Accrington Stanley FC
- The Crown: This pub is located just behind the stadium and is a popular spot for fans before and after games. It has a wide selection of beers and other drinks, as well as a menu of pub food. Address: 318 Whalley Rd, Accrington BB5 5DQ. Phone: 01254 381002.
- The Grey Horse Hotel: This hotel is also located near the stadium and has a traditional pub atmosphere. It has a good selection of beers and other drinks, as well as a restaurant that serves classic pub food. Address: 263 Whalley Rd, Accrington BB5 5AD. Phone: 01254 232133.
Hotels near the Wham Stadium in Accrington
- Mercure Blackburn Dunkenhalgh Hotel & Spa is a 4-star hotel located just 1.1 miles from the stadium. It has a spa, a restaurant, and a bar.
- OYO Castle Hotel, Accrington is a 3-star hotel located 1.2 miles from the stadium. It has a restaurant and a bar.
- Castle Hotel is a 2-star hotel located 1.2 miles from the stadium. It has a restaurant and a bar.
- Hampton by Hilton Blackburn is a 3-star hotel located 4.8 miles from the stadium. It has a fitness centre, a bar, and a restaurant.
All of these hotels are within a short drive of the Wham Stadium and offer a variety of amenities to make your stay comfortable.
Here are some other things to consider when choosing a hotel near the Wham Stadium:
- Price: Hotel prices can vary depending on the time of year, the type of hotel, and the amenities offered.
- Location: Some hotels are located closer to the stadium than others. This may be important if you plan on attending a game or event at the stadium.
- Amenities: Some hotels offer amenities such as a pool, a spa, or a fitness center. Consider which amenities are important to you when making your decision.
- Reviews: Read reviews of hotels before you make a reservation. This can help you get an idea of the quality of the hotel and the customer service.
How to get to the Wham Stadium, Accrington Stanley football ground
- By car: The stadium is located at Livingstone Road, Accrington, Lancashire, BB5 6DY. From London, take the M6 north to junction 21A, then the M62 east to junction 12. Take the M60 north to junction 18, then the M66 east to junction 1. Exit onto the A56 and follow signs for Accrington. The stadium will be on your left.
- By train: The nearest train station is Accrington Railway Station. Trains run from Manchester Victoria and Leeds. From the station, walk north up Whalley Road for about 10 minutes. The stadium will be on your left.
- By bus: The nearest bus stop is opposite the Crown Pub on Whalley Road. Buses run from Accrington town centre. From the bus stop, walk east along Whalley Road for about 5 minutes. The stadium will be on your right.
Once you arrive at the stadium, there is plenty of parking available. There is also a ticket office on site where you can purchase tickets for upcoming matches.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do near the Wham Stadium in Accrington
- Visit the Accrington Market. It is a large indoor market with a wide variety of stalls selling fresh produce, meats, cheeses, clothes, and other goods.
- Take a walk or bike ride along the Leeds-Liverpool Canal. The canal is a popular spot for recreation and offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Visit Accrington Town Hall. The town hall is a beautiful Victorian building that houses a museum, art gallery, and library.
- Go for a hike in Accrington Moors. The moors offer stunning views of the surrounding area and are a great place for hiking, biking, and walking.
- Visit the Accrington Stanley Football Club Museum. The museum tells the story of Accrington Stanley Football Club, one of the oldest professional football clubs in the world.
- Have a drink at the Crown Ground pub. The pub is located just a short walk from Wham Stadium and is a popular spot for fans of Accrington Stanley Football Club.
- Eat at one of the many restaurants in Accrington town center. Accrington has a wide variety of restaurants to choose from, serving everything from traditional British cuisine to international fare.
These are just a few of the many things you can do near Wham Stadium in Accrington. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to have a great time exploring this historic town.