Crown Oil Arena guide
The Crown Oil Arena (also known as Spotland Stadium) is a multi-purpose sports stadium in the Spotland area of Rochdale, Greater Manchester, England. It is the home of Rochdale Association Football Club and Rochdale Hornets Rugby League Club. The stadium has a capacity of 10,249.
Table of Contents
The stadium was first built in 1878 and was originally used for cricket. In 1907, Rochdale AFC moved to the stadium and it has been their home ever since. The stadium has undergone a number of redevelopments over the years, and in 2016 it was renamed the Crown Oil Arena following a sponsorship deal with the Bury-based fuel company Crown Oil.
The Crown Oil Arena is a modern, all-seater stadium with four covered stands. The Main Stand is located on the north side of the ground and houses the club’s offices and changing rooms. The Willbutts Lane Stand is located on the south side of the ground and houses the away fans. The Sandy Lane Stand is located behind the goal at the east end of the ground and houses the family section. The Smithy Lane Stand is located behind the goal at the west end of the ground and houses the most vocal home fans.
In addition to hosting Rochdale AFC and Rochdale Hornets matches, the Crown Oil Arena has also hosted a number of other events, including international football matches, rugby league matches, and concerts.
The stadium is located about a mile from Rochdale town centre and is easily accessible by public transport. The nearest train station is Rochdale Interchange, which is about a 20-minute walk from the stadium. There are also a number of bus services that stop near the stadium.
Pubs near the Crown Oil Arena, home of Rochdale A.F.C
- The Ratcliffe Arms is located right next to the stadium, so it’s a great place to go for a pre- or post-match drink. It has a good selection of real ales and food, and there’s always a lively atmosphere on matchdays. Address: Sandy Ln, Rochdale OL11 5DR. Phone: 01706 644648.
- The Cemetery Hotel is a short walk from the stadium, and it’s another popular spot for football fans. It has a more traditional pub feel than the Ratcliffe Arms, and it’s a good place to go for a quiet drink before or after the game. Address: 470 Bury Rd, Rochdale OL11 5EU. Phone: 01706 645635.
- Royds Arms is a bit further away from the stadium, but it’s still within walking distance. It’s a traditional pub with a good selection of real ales and food. It’s also a popular spot for locals, so you’re sure to get a warm welcome. Address: Royds Arms, 158 Rooley Moor Rd, Rochdale OL12 7DQ.
- The Roebuck is a hotel and pub located in the town centre of Rochdale. It’s a good option if you’re looking for a place to stay and eat before or after the game. It also has a lively bar area, where you can watch live sport and enjoy a drink with friends. Address: 8 Yorkshire St, Rochdale OL16 1BH. Phone: 01706 350171.
If you’re looking for a pub with a bit more atmosphere, you can always head into Rochdale town centre. There are a number of pubs and bars there, including:
- The Flying Horse Hotel is a popular pub with a good selection of real ales and craft beers. It also has a large beer garden, which is perfect for enjoying a drink on a sunny day. Address: 37 Packer St, Rochdale OL16 1NJ. Phone: 01706 646412.
No matter what you’re looking for in a pub, you’re sure to find something to your taste near the Crown Oil Arena in Rochdale.
Hotels near the Crown Oil Arena, Rochdale, England
Travelodge Rochdale – The Travelodge Rochdale is a budget-friendly hotel located just a short walk from the Crown Oil Arena. It offers comfortable rooms with all the essentials, including a TV, free Wi-Fi, and a tea and coffee maker. The hotel also has a restaurant and bar, where you can enjoy a meal or drink before or after your event.
Hampton by Hilton Rochdale – The Hampton by Hilton Rochdale is a mid-range hotel located about a mile from the Crown Oil Arena. It offers spacious rooms with amenities such as a TV, free Wi-Fi, and a mini-fridge. The hotel also has a complimentary breakfast buffet, a fitness centre, and a swimming pool.
Premier Inn Rochdale – The Premier Inn Rochdale is another budget-friendly hotel located about a mile from the Crown Oil Arena. It offers comfortable rooms with all the essentials, including a TV, free Wi-Fi, and a tea and coffee maker. The hotel also has a restaurant and bar, where you can enjoy a meal or drink before or after your event.
The Royal Toby Hotel – The Royal Toby Hotel is a traditional hotel located about a mile from the Crown Oil Arena. It offers individually decorated rooms with amenities such as a TV, free Wi-Fi, and a tea and coffee maker. The hotel also has a restaurant and bar, where you can enjoy a meal or drink before or after your event.
When choosing a hotel, it is important to consider your budget, your needs, and your preferences. If you are looking for a budget-friendly hotel, the Travelodge Rochdale or the Premier Inn Rochdale are good options. If you are looking for a hotel with more amenities, the Hampton by Hilton Rochdale or The Royal Toby Hotel are good options.
How to get to the Crown Oil Arena, Rochdale A.F.C football ground
The Crown Oil Arena is located on Sandy Lane, Rochdale, OL11 5DR. From the M62, take junction 20 for Rochdale and follow the signs for the town centre. Once in the town centre, follow the signs for the Crown Oil Arena.
There is limited parking available at the stadium, so it is advisable to arrive early or park elsewhere and walk. There is street parking available on the surrounding roads, as well as a car park at Oulderhill Community School, which is a short walk from the stadium.
By public transport
The Crown Oil Arena is well-served by public transport. Rochdale Railway Station is around a 2.5-mile walk from the stadium, and there are regular buses from the station to the ground. The stadium is also served by the Metrolink tram network, with the nearest stop being Rochdale Town Centre. From there, it is a short walk to the stadium.
Taxis are available from Rochdale Railway Station and Rochdale Town Centre. The journey to the stadium takes around 5-10 minutes.
The Crown Oil Arena is around a 25-minute walk from Rochdale Town Centre. If you are walking from the town centre, head north on Yorkshire Street and then turn left onto Sandy Lane. The stadium will be on your right-hand side.
On matchdays, there are special shuttle buses that run from Rochdale Town Centre to the stadium. These buses start running around two hours before kick-off and depart from the bus station.
Things to do near the Crown Oil Arena, Rochdale
- Visit the Hollingworth Lake Country Park. This park is a popular spot for walking, cycling, fishing, and picnicking. It also has a children’s playground, a cafe, and a gift shop.
- See a show at the Rochdale Town Hall. This historic building hosts a variety of performances throughout the year, including plays, musicals, and concerts.
- Visit the Rochdale Pioneers Museum. This museum tells the story of the Rochdale Pioneers, a group of working-class men who founded the first cooperative society in 1844.
- Take a walk through Rochdale Cemetery. This cemetery is the final resting place of many notable people, including the Rochdale Pioneers and the artist L.S. Lowry.
- Visit the Rochdale Canal. This canal is a popular spot for walking, cycling, and boating. There are also several pubs and cafes located along the canal.
Here are some additional suggestions, depending on your interests:
- For families: Visit the Spotland Children’s Centre, which has a variety of activities and facilities for children of all ages. You can also visit the Rochdale Art Gallery (3.5 miles from the Crown Oil Arena), which has a collection of art from the 16th century to the present day.
- For history buffs: Visit the Rochdale Museum, which tells the story of Rochdale from its prehistoric origins to the present day. You can also visit the Castleton Rochdale Civic Centre, which is a Grade I listed building with a beautiful interior.
- For outdoor enthusiasts: Visit the Rochdale Riverside Walk, which is a scenic walk along the River Roch. You can also visit the Rochdale Canal, which is a popular spot for walking, cycling, and boating.
- For foodies: Visit the Rochdale Market, which is a traditional market with a variety of food stalls selling fresh produce, meat, fish, and other goods. You can also visit the Rochdale Food and Drink Festival (held each year in September), which celebrates the best of Rochdale’s food and drink scene.