SMH Group Stadium guide
SMH Group Stadium is an all-seater football stadium in Whittington Moor, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, England, on the site of the former Dema Glassworks. It is the home of Chesterfield FC, replacing the Saltergate Recreation Ground as the club’s stadium from the start of the 2010–11 season. The stadium has a capacity of 10,600 and is named after the SMH Group, a local business group who are the main sponsors of the stadium.
Table of Contents
The stadium has been known by a number of different names since it opened, including the Technique Stadium, the b2net Stadium, the Proact Stadium, and the Palmer Stadium. However, in 2023, the stadium was renamed the SMH Group Stadium after a new sponsorship deal was agreed with the SMH Group, a local accounting and business advisory firm.
The stadium was officially opened on 24 July 2010 by the then-England manager Fabio Capello. The first competitive match played at the stadium was a Football League Two match between Chesterfield and Barnet on 7 August 2010, which Chesterfield won 2–1.
The SMH Group Stadium is a modern stadium with all the latest facilities. It has a fully covered playing surface, a four-tier stand on the east side of the ground, and a three-tier stand on the west side of the ground. The stadium also has a number of executive suites and hospitality boxes.
The SMH Group Stadium has hosted a number of other sporting events in addition to football matches. It has hosted rugby league matches, rugby union matches, and cricket matches. The stadium has also hosted a number of concerts and other events.
The SMH Group Stadium is a popular venue for both sports fans and concert-goers. It is a well-appointed stadium with a good atmosphere. It is also a well-located stadium, being close to the town centre and the motorway network.
Pubs near the SMH Group Stadium, home of Chesterfield FC
- The Glass Works: This pub is located just a short walk from the stadium, at 388 Sheffield Road. It has a large beer garden, which is perfect for enjoying a drink on a sunny day. The Glass Works also serves a variety of food, including burgers, pizzas, and pub classics. Address: 388 Sheffield Rd, Chesterfield S41 8LF. Phone: 01246 768688.
- Donkey Derby: This traditional British pub is located at 405 Sheffield Road. It shows all major sporting events on TV, and has a familiar menu of grills and global comfort food. The Donkey Derby is a popular spot for locals and visitors alike. Address: 405 Sheffield Rd, Chesterfield S41 8JZ. Phone: 01246 554485.
- The Miners Arms: This pub is located at 62 Sanforth Street, which is about a 10-minute walk from the stadium. It is a smaller pub than the others on this list, but it has a friendly atmosphere and a good selection of beers on tap. The Miners Arms also serves a variety of pub snacks and meals. Address: 62 Sanforth St, Chesterfield S41 8RU. Phone: 01246 275880.
Hotels near SMH Group Stadium in Chesterfield
Casa Hotel. This 4-star hotel is located just 0.18 miles from SMH Group Stadium, and offers guests a variety of amenities, including a gym, bar, fine dining restaurant, and 11 business suites.
Premier Inn Chesterfield North. This budget-friendly hotel is located 1.13 miles from SMH Group Stadium, and offers guests contemporary rooms with en-suite bathrooms, a pub-style restaurant, meeting space, and free parking.
Travelodge Chesterfield. This hotel is located 0.5 miles from SMH Group Stadium, and offers guests bright rooms with flat-screen TVs, complimentary Wi-Fi, and parking.
Premier Inn Chesterfield Town Centre. This hotel is located 1.13 miles from SMH Group Stadium, and offers guests simply furnished rooms with en-suite bathrooms, a restaurant, and free Wi-Fi.
How to get to the SMH Group Stadium, Chesterfield football ground
- From the M1: Exit at junction 29 and follow the signs for Chesterfield. Continue on the A617 until you reach the Horns Bridge Roundabout. Take the 4th exit onto Rother Way/A61. At the Brimington Roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Lockoford Ln. Continue onto Lockoford Rd. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Sheffield Rd/B6057. Turn right and then left. The SMH Group Stadium will be on your right.
- From the M25: Exit at junction 21a and follow the signs for the M1 northbound. At junction 29, exit and follow the directions above.
Chesterfield Station is about a 20-minute walk from the SMH Group Stadium. Trains run regularly to Chesterfield from major UK cities, including London, Manchester, and Sheffield.
There are a number of bus services that run to the SMH Group Stadium, including the Stagecoach X7 service from Sheffield and the Stagecoach 21 service from Chesterfield town centre.
The SMH Group Stadium is about a 30-minute walk from Chesterfield town centre. Follow the signs for the stadium from the town centre.
Please note that the SMH Group Stadium is located on a residential street, so there is limited parking available. It is advisable to park in Chesterfield town centre and walk to the stadium.
Things to do near the SMH Group Stadium in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, United Kingdom
- Follow Chesterfield FC. The stadium is home to the Chesterfield Football Club, which plays in the National League, the fifth tier of the English football league system. If you’re a football fan, you can catch a game and cheer on the Spireites.
- Take a tour of the stadium. The stadium offers tours that take visitors behind the scenes to see the pitch, dressing rooms, dugouts, and other areas. It’s a great way to learn about the history of the stadium and the Chesterfield Football Club.
- Visit the Chesterfield Museum and Art Gallery. The museum is located just a short walk from the stadium and tells the story of Chesterfield from its Roman origins to the present day. It also has a collection of art, including works by local artists.
- Explore Queen’s Park. The park is located opposite the stadium and is a great place to relax for a while. It has a variety of features, including a lake, gardens, and a children’s play area.
- Go shopping. There are a number of shops located near the stadium, including a shopping center, a supermarket, and a range of independent stores.
- Have a meal or drink. There are a number of restaurants and bars located near the stadium, including some that offer views of the pitch.
Here are some additional suggestions:
- Visit the Chatsworth Country Fair. The Chatsworth Country Fair is an annual event held at Chatsworth House, which is located about 15 miles from Chesterfield. The fair features a variety of attractions, including food and drink stalls, shopping stalls, and entertainment.
- Visit the Peak District National Park. The Peak District National Park is located about 10 miles from Chesterfield and is a great place to go for a walk, hike, or bike ride. There are also a number of villages and towns in the national park where you can stop for a meal or drink.
- Visit the Bolsover Castle. Bolsover Castle is a 17th-century castle located about 12 miles from Chesterfield. The castle offers tours and events throughout the year.
- Visit the Hardwick Hall. Hardwick Hall is a 16th-century manor house located about 15 miles from Chesterfield. The hall offers tours and events throughout the year.