The Shay Stadium guide
The Shay Stadium is a multi-purpose sports stadium in Halifax, West Yorkshire, England. It is the home of F.C. Halifax Town football club and Halifax Panthers rugby league team.
Table of Contents
The stadium was opened in 1921 and has a capacity of 10,401, of which 5,108 are seated. It is owned by Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council and leased by the Shay Stadium Trust, a not-for-profit company set up to preserve the ground as a sports stadium.
The Shay is set into the side of a hill, which gives it an enclosed but very green look. The four stands at the stadium include the North Stand, the East Stand, the South Stand and the Skircoat Stand. The North and South stands were built in the mid-1990s, while the Skircoat Stand is the oldest stand in the stadium.
The Shay is a well-loved and historic stadium, and is an important part of the fabric of Halifax. It is a place where people from all walks of life come together to enjoy sport and entertainment.
Pubs near The Shay Stadium, home of Halifax Town FC
- The Three Pigeons Ale House – This pub is located just a 5-minute walk from the stadium and is a popular spot for both home and away fans on matchdays. It has a wide selection of real ales on tap, as well as a good food menu. Address: 1 Sun Fold, Halifax HX1 2LX. Phone: 01422 347001.
- The Royal Oak – This pub is located a little further away from the stadium, but is still within walking distance. It has a more traditional pub feel than The Three Pigeons and offers a good range of beers, wines, and spirits. Address: 3 Clare Rd, Halifax HX1 2HX. Phone: 01422 342226.
- The Courtyard Halifax – This pub is located in the town centre, but is still only a short walk from the stadium. It is a large pub with a spacious beer garden and a wide selection of drinks and food. Address: 5 Ward’s End, Halifax HX1 1BX. Phone: 01422 399020.
If you are looking for a pub to visit before or after a match, I would recommend The Three Pigeons Ale House. It is a friendly pub with a good selection of drinks and food, and it is conveniently located near the stadium.
Hotels near The Shay Stadium in Halifax
- The Imperial Crown Hotel is a converted 1800s house located opposite the station, offering casual rooms and an eatery, plus free Wi-Fi. It is a 10-minute walk from The Shay Stadium.
- Premier Inn Halifax Town Centre is a basic hotel with modern en suite accommodations, including family rooms, plus a grill. It is a 15-minute walk from The Shay Stadium.
- Premier Inn Halifax South is a budget hotel with contemporary en suite rooms, plus a pub/restaurant and free parking. It is a 5-minute drive from The Shay Stadium.
- Shears Inn, Paris Gates Halifax is an inn with a traditional pub and restaurant. It is a 10-minute drive from The Shay Stadium.
How to get to The Shay Stadium, Halifax Town football ground
The stadium is located on Shaw Hill, Halifax HX1 2YT. From the M62 motorway, take junction 24 and follow the signs for Halifax. The Shay ground is on the right-hand side after about three miles. There is limited parking available at the stadium (£5), but there is also some street parking to be had, if you arrive early. Otherwise, you can park in one of the nearby town centre car parks.
Halifax Railway Station is only a five-minute walk away from The Shay Stadium. The station is on the Trans Pennine route between Leeds and Manchester. On exiting the station approach, turn left onto Church Street. Keep straight on this road, passing the Three Pigeons pubs, and you will reach the stadium entrance on your right.
The nearest bus stop to The Shay Stadium is Skircoat Road at Hunger Hill. There are regular services from Elland (501, 503, 537) and Huddersfield (501, 503, 537) that stop opposite the ground on Skircoat Road at the Heath Road bus stop.
You can also take the 561 bus from Stop 5 Horton Street near to the rail station to Shaw Hill outside the ground. The journey takes approximately 5 minutes.
Once you arrive at the stadium, you can follow the signs to your designated entrance.
If you are feeling energetic, you can also walk to The Shay Stadium from Halifax town centre. The journey takes around 20 minutes. Simply head up Halifax Road and turn left onto Shaw Hill. The stadium will be on your left.
Things to do near The Shay Stadium, Halifax
- Visit the Piece Hall. The Piece Hall is a stunning 18th-century cloth hall in the heart of Halifax. It has been beautifully restored and is now home to a variety of independent shops, cafes, and restaurants.
- Take a walk through Halifax Park. Halifax Park is a beautiful Victorian park with gardens, woodlands, and a boating lake. It is a great place to relax and escape the hustle and bustle of the city.
- Visit the Calderdale Industrial Museum. The Calderdale Industrial Museum is a fascinating museum that tells the story of Calderdale’s industrial heritage. It has a variety of exhibits, including working textile machinery and a steam engine.
- Catch a show at the Victoria Theatre. The Victoria Theatre is a beautiful Victorian theatre that hosts a variety of performances, including musicals, plays, and concerts.
- Visit the Eureka! The National Children’s Museum. Eureka! The National Children’s Museum is a fun and interactive museum for children of all ages. It has a variety of exhibits on science, technology, and the arts.