Kenilworth road guide
Kenilworth Road is an association football stadium in Luton, Bedfordshire, England. It has been the home ground of Luton Town Football Club since 1905. The stadium has a capacity of 10,356 and is situated in the district of Bury Park, one mile (1.6 km) west of the centre of Luton. It is named after the road which runs along one end of it, though its official address is 1 Maple Road.
Table of Contents
Kenilworth Road is the smallest stadium in the Premier League, and is one of the oldest in the Football League. It is known for its atmosphere and its steep stands, which give fans a close view of the action. The stadium has been the scene of some memorable moments in Luton Town’s history, including the club’s FA Cup semi-final victory over Arsenal in 1988.
In 2023, Luton Town were promoted to the Premier League for the first time in 30 years. This meant that Kenilworth Road became the smallest stadium in the top flight of English football. The club have said that they plan to upgrade the stadium in the near future, but it is unclear when this will happen.
Here are some of the things you can do at Kenilworth Road:
- Watch a Luton Town football match.
- Take a tour of the stadium.
- Visit the club shop.
- Have a drink at the Oak Road End pub.
- Enjoy the atmosphere of a Premier League match.
Kenilworth Road is a historic stadium with a lot to offer fans. If you are ever in Luton, be sure to check it out.
Pubs near Kenilworth Road
- The Bricklayers Arms: This traditional pub has a small garden and separate lunch and dinner menus of European gastropub food. Address: 16-18 High Town Rd, Luton LU2 0DD. Phone: 01582 611017.
- The Black Horse: This pub has a lively atmosphere and hosts live music events on a regular basis. Address: 23 Hastings St, Chapel Langley, Luton LU1 5BE. Phone: 01582 965290.
- The Painters Arms: This pub is a popular spot for locals and visitors alike, and is known for its friendly staff and wide selection of beers. The Painters Arms is a Grade II listed pub in Luton, England. It is on the Campaign for Real Ale’s National Inventory of Historic Pub Interiors. Address: 79 High Town Rd, Luton LU2 0BW. Phone: 01582 732815.
If you are looking for something a little more unique, there are also a number of themed pubs in the area, such as:
- The Red Lion: This pub is decorated in a traditional English pub style, and has a large fireplace in the main bar. Address: 2 Castle St., Luton LU1 3AA. Phone: 01582 413881.
No matter what your taste, there is sure to be a pub near Kenilworth Road that is perfect for you.
Pubs near Kenilworth Road for away fans
- Beech Hill Conservative Club is a short walk from the stadium and is known for its friendly atmosphere and good selection of beers. Address: 18A Leagrave Rd, Luton LU4 8HZ. Phone: 01582 726747.
- Wheelwright Arms is a bit further away, but is a popular choice for fans of real ale. Address: 34 Guildford St, Luton LU1 2NR. Phone: 01582 728911.
- Bricklayers Arms is a traditional pub with a large garden.
- White House is a Wetherspoons pub with a wide range of beers and food. Address: 1 Bridge St, Luton LU1 1SA. Phone: 01582 454608.
Please note that some of these pubs may be closed on matchdays or may have a restricted capacity for away fans. It is always advisable to check with the pub in advance.
Hotels near Kenilworth Road in Luton
- Premier Inn Luton Town Centre is a great option for budget travelers. It’s located just a short walk from Kenilworth Road and has free Wi-Fi and a restaurant.
- Thistle Express Hotel, London Luton is a more upscale option with modern rooms and a fitness center. It’s also within walking distance of Kenilworth Road.
- Leaside Hotel is a charming Victorian hotel with a beautiful garden. It’s a bit further from Kenilworth Road, but it’s a great place to relax and unwind after a day of exploring.
- Premier Inn Luton (Airport) is a great option for travelers who are flying in or out of Luton Airport. It’s located just a short drive from the airport and has free Wi-Fi and a restaurant.
If you’re looking for something a little different, there are also a number of bed and breakfasts and guesthouses near Kenilworth Road. These offer a more personal experience and can be a great way to meet other travelers.
Here are some highly-rated hotels near Kenilworth Road:
- Kenilworth Hotel – This 4-star hotel is located in a beautiful Georgian building just a short walk from Kenilworth Road. It has a spa, a fitness center, and a restaurant.
- The George Hotel – This 4-star hotel is located in the heart of Luton town center. It has a bar, a restaurant, and a terrace.
- The Waterside Hotel – This 4-star hotel is located on the banks of the River Lea. It has a spa, a fitness center, and a restaurant.
How to get to Kenilworth Road, the home ground of Luton Town Football Club
The nearest train station to Kenilworth Road is Luton Town. Trains run from London St Pancras International and Luton Airport Parkway. The journey time from London is around 45 minutes, and from Luton Airport Parkway is around 10 minutes.
Once you arrive at Luton Town station, you can walk to Kenilworth Road in around 10 minutes. The stadium is located on Kenilworth Road, which is a short walk from the station.
There are several bus services that stop near Kenilworth Road. The nearest bus stop is on Dunstable Road, which is a short walk from the stadium.
The following bus services stop on Dunstable Road:
- Luton Central Bus Station (10 minutes walk)
- Luton Airport Parkway Station (15 minutes walk)
- Luton Town Centre (10 minutes walk)
Kenilworth Road is located on Kenilworth Road, which is a short drive from Luton town centre. There is limited parking available at the stadium, but there are several car parks in the surrounding area.
The following car parks are within a 10-minute walk of the stadium:
- Luton Town FC Car Park (£10 per matchday)
- Maple Road Car Park (£5 per matchday)
- Dunstable Road Car Park (£5 per matchday)
Once you have parked your car, you can walk to the stadium in around 10 minutes.
Getting to Kenilworth Road on matchday
On matchday, it is advisable to arrive at Kenilworth Road early. The stadium is small and can get very crowded, so it is important to give yourself plenty of time to find your seat and get settled in.
There are a number of pubs and bars in the surrounding area where you can pre-match. These are a great place to meet up with other fans and enjoy a drink before the game.
Here are some of the pubs and bars near Kenilworth Road:
- The Railway (0.2 miles)
- The Hatters Arms (0.2 miles)
- The Railway Tavern (0.3 miles)
- The Prince Regent (0.4 miles)
- The Black Horse (0.5 miles)
Once you have arrived at the stadium, you will need to pass through security checks. There are a number of turnstiles at the stadium, so it is important to find the one that is for your ticket.
Once you have passed through security, you will be able to enter the stadium and find your seat. The stadium is divided into two stands: the main stand and the Oak Road end. The main stand is where the majority of Luton Town’s fans sit, while the Oak Road end is where the away fans sit.
There are a number of facilities at Kenilworth Road, including a bar, a restaurant, and a club shop. There are also toilets and disabled facilities.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at and near Kenilworth Road
- Watch a Luton Town football match. Kenilworth Road is the home ground of Luton Town Football Club, who play in the Premier League. The stadium has a capacity of 10,356 and is known for its passionate atmosphere.
- Visit the Kenilworth Road Museum. The museum tells the story of Luton Town Football Club and Kenilworth Road stadium. It is open to the public on match days and by appointment.
- Take a walk around Bury Park. Bury Park is the district of Luton where Kenilworth Road is located. It is a multicultural area with a variety of shops, restaurants, and cafes.
- Visit Wardown Park Museum. Wardown Park Museum is a local history museum located in Wardown Park, Luton. The museum has a collection of objects and exhibits that tell the story of Luton and its surrounding area.
- Go for a walk in Wardown Park. Wardown Park is a large park located in Luton. The park has a variety of facilities, including a boating lake, a playground, and a cafe.
If you are looking for something to do in Luton on a match day, Kenilworth Road is a great place to start. There are plenty of things to see and do in the area, and the atmosphere at a Luton Town match is always electric.