Old Trafford guide
Old Trafford is a football stadium in Old Trafford, Greater Manchester, England, and the home of Manchester United. With a capacity of 74,140 it is the largest club football stadium in the United Kingdom, and the eleventh-largest in Europe.
Table of Contents
Old Trafford was built in 1910 and has been the home of Manchester United ever since. It is one of the most famous stadiums in the world and has hosted many important matches, including FA Cup Finals, Champions League Finals, and international matches.
Old Trafford is a popular tourist destination and is open to the public for tours. It is also a popular venue for concerts and other events.
Here are some interesting facts about Old Trafford:
- The stadium is nicknamed “The Theatre of Dreams”.
- The record attendance for a match at Old Trafford is 76,217, set on 25 March 1939 for a match between Manchester United and Arsenal.
- The most expensive ticket for a match at Old Trafford is £100.
- Old Trafford has hosted the FA Cup Final on 10 occasions.
- Old Trafford has hosted the Champions League Final on 3 occasions.
- Old Trafford has hosted the FIFA World Cup Final in 1966.
- Old Trafford has hosted the UEFA European Championship Final in 1996.
Old Trafford is a truly iconic stadium and is one of the most famous in the world. It is a must-visit for any football fan.
Pubs near Old Trafford
- The Bishop Blaize – This Wetherspoons pub is a popular spot for Manchester United fans before and after games. It has a wide selection of beers and food, and a lively atmosphere. Address: 708 Chester Rd, Old Trafford, Stretford, Manchester M32 0SF. Phone: 0161 873 8845.
- The Trafford – This traditional pub is another popular choice for fans. It has a large beer garden and a good selection of food. Address: 699 Chester Rd, Old Trafford, Stretford, Manchester M16 0GW.
- The Quadrant – This pub is a bit further from Old Trafford, but it is a good option for those looking for a more relaxed atmosphere. It has a large selection of beers and a pool table. Address: 67 Great Stone Rd., Old Trafford, Stretford, Manchester M32 8GR. Phone: 0161 881 6923.
- The Tollgate – This pub is located right next to the Trafford Bar Metrolink stop, making it a convenient option for those arriving by public transport. It has a good selection of beers and food, and a lively atmosphere on match days. Address: Old Trafford, Stretford, Manchester M16 0LN. Phone: 0161 312 2308.
If you are looking for something a bit different, there are also a number of bars and restaurants located in the MediaCity area of Salford, which is a short walk from Old Trafford. This area is home to a number of independent businesses, and it is a good option for those looking for a more modern atmosphere.
Pubs near Old Trafford for away fans
- The Bishop Blaize: This pub is located just a short walk from Old Trafford and is a popular spot for away fans. It has a large selection of beers on tap and a lively atmosphere.
- The Dockyard: This pub is located in Salford Quays, which is a short tram ride from Old Trafford. It has a large outdoor seating area and a wide range of food and drinks. Address: Media City, DockHouse, Salford M50 2EQ. Phone: 0161 713 3810.
- The Tollgate: This pub is located right by Trafford Bar tram stop and is a good option for those looking for a more traditional pub experience. It has a wide range of beers on tap and a friendly atmosphere.
- The Quadrant: This pub is located in the city centre and is a good option for those looking for a pub with a more central location. It has a wide range of beers on tap and a lively atmosphere.
Please note that these are just a few suggestions and there are many other pubs near Old Trafford that are welcoming to away fans.
Hotels near Old Trafford, Manchester
- Hotel Football, Old Trafford, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel. This hotel is themed around football and is located just a short walk from the Stadium. It has a bar and restaurant with views of the stadium, as well as a spa and fitness centre.
- Hilton Garden Inn Manchester Emirates Old Trafford. This hotel is located just a 5-minute walk from Old Trafford Stadium and has a fitness center, bar and restaurant. It also offers free Wi-Fi and parking.
- Premier Inn Manchester Old Trafford. This hotel is located a 10-minute walk from the Stadium and has en suite rooms, a bar and restaurant. It also offers free Wi-Fi and parking.
- ibis budget Manchester Salford Quays. This budget hotel is located a 15-minute walk from Old Trafford Stadium and has simple rooms with flat-screen TVs and free Wi-Fi.
- Copthreorne Hotel Manchester Salford Quays. This 4-star hotel is located a 15-minute walk from the Stadium and has a fitness cent, bar and restaurant. It also offers free Wi-Fi and parking.
These are just a few of the many hotels near Old Trafford. When choosing a hotel, it is important to consider your budget, the amenities you are looking for, and how far you want to walk to the stadium.
How to get to Old Trafford, the home of Manchester United Football Club
- By car: Old Trafford is located just south of Manchester city centre, and is easily accessible by car. The stadium is sign-posted from all major roads, and there is plenty of parking available. However, traffic can be heavy on match days, so it is advisable to allow plenty of time for your journey.
- By train: The nearest train station to Old Trafford is Manchester United Football Ground station. This station is only open on match days, and is located on Warwick Road, about a 10-minute walk from the stadium. There are regular trains from Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Oxford Road stations.
- By bus: There are a number of bus services that stop near Old Trafford. The nearest bus stops are on Warwick Road and Chester Road. Buses run regularly from Manchester city centre and other parts of the city.
- By Metrolink: The Metrolink is a light rail system that serves Manchester and the surrounding area. There is a Metrolink station at Old Trafford, which is located on Warwick Road, about a 5-minute walk from the stadium. Metrolink services run regularly from Manchester city centre and other parts of the city.
Once you arrive at there are a number of ways to get around the stadium. There is a free shuttle bus service that runs between the car park and the stadium, and there are also a number of pedestrian walkways.
If you are planning on attending a match at Old Trafford, it is advisable to book your tickets in advance. Tickets can be purchased online, by phone, or at the stadium box office.
Old Trafford is a great place to watch a football match. The stadium is home to a passionate and knowledgeable crowd, and the atmosphere on match days is electric. If you are ever in Manchester, be sure to take in a game at Old Trafford.
Official club website
Fan forums and websites
Things to do at Old Trafford
- Take a stadium tour. This is a great way to see behind the scenes of Old Trafford and learn about the history of Manchester United. Tours last for around 90 minutes and cost £20 for adults and £16 for children.
- Visit the museum. The Manchester United Museum is located in the stadium and tells the story of the club from its early days to the present day. It is open from 9am to 5pm and admission is £18 for adults and £12 for children.
- Watch a match. If you are lucky enough to be in Manchester when Manchester United are playing at home, then be sure to buy a ticket for the match. The atmosphere at Old Trafford is electric and it is an unforgettable experience.
- Have a meal at the Red Cafe. The Red Cafe is located in the stadium and is a great place to eat before or after a match. It serves a variety of food and drinks, including traditional British fare and international cuisine.
- Shop at the Megastore. The Megastore is located next to the stadium and is the place to buy Manchester United merchandise. It sells a wide range of items, including shirts, hats, scarves, and souvenirs.
In addition to these activities, there are also a number of other things to do in the area around Old Trafford. You can visit the nearby Trafford Centre shopping mall, take a walk through the historic town of Stretford, or explore the city of Manchester itself.
Things you can do near Old Trafford
- Go shopping at The Trafford Centre. This is one of the largest shopping malls in the United Kingdom and has over 170 stores.
- Visit the Imperial War Museum North. This museum tells the story of the 20th century through the lens of war. It’s a fascinating place to learn about the impact of war on people’s lives.
- Take a walk along the Bridgewater Canal. This canal is a great place to relax and enjoy the scenery. You can also rent a boat and explore the canal at your own pace.
- Visit MediaCityUK. This is a large media and arts complex that’s home to the BBC, ITV, and many other companies. You can take a tour of the complex, see the studios, or simply soak up the atmosphere.
- Go to a show at The Lowry. This theater is home to a variety of shows, from plays and musicals to comedy and dance.
- Have a pint at The Bishops Blaze. This pub is a great place to watch a game of football or simply relax with friends.
- Eat at The Trafford. This restaurant has a wide variety of food, from traditional British to international cuisine.
These are just a few of the many things you can do near Old Trafford. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to have a great time exploring this part of Manchester.