Ballymena Showgrounds guide
Ballymena Showgrounds is a multi-purpose stadium in Ballymena, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It is home to Ballymena United F.C. and Ballymena United Allstars F.C. The stadium has a capacity of 8,000 (safe capacity: 3,600) and was opened in 1903.
Table of Contents
The stadium has been home to a variety of sports over the years, including football, stock car racing, and field hockey. In 2001, the stadium was redeveloped at a cost of £30m. This reconstruction included the building of a new stand and new dressing room facilities.
The Ballymena Showgrounds is also home to a number of other facilities, including a conference centre, a function room, and a number of pitches. The stadium is a popular venue for a variety of events, including concerts, trade shows, and sporting events.
Here are some of the events that have been held at the Ballymena Showgrounds:
- The British Touring Car Championship
- The Stock Car World Grand Prix
- The Fleetwood Mac reunion concert
- The Van Morrison concert
The Ballymena Showgrounds is a well-equipped stadium that is home to a variety of sports and events. It is a popular venue for both locals and visitors alike.
Pubs near Ballymena Showgrounds, home of Ballymena FC
- The Front Page Bar is a popular spot for live music and sports. It has a good selection of beers on tap and a lively atmosphere. Address: 9 Ballymoney St, Ballymena BT43 6AL. Phone: 028 2564 1953.
- Horse & Jockey is a traditional Irish pub with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. It serves delicious food and has a wide selection of drinks. Address: 7-9 Bryan St, Ballymena BT43 6DN. Phone: 028 2565 2661.
- The Smithfield Arms is a family-friendly pub with a large beer garden. It is a great place to go for a relaxed drink with friends. Address: 21-23 Galgorm Rd, Ballymena BT43 5EY. Phone: 028 2564 1749.
- The Grouse is a gastropub with a focus on locally-sourced food. It has a great selection of beers and wines, and the food is always cooked to perfection. Address: 74-76 Ballymoney St, Ballymena BT43 6AN. Phone: 028 2564 5234.
Hotels near Ballymena Showgrounds
- Adair Arms Hotel. This classic 1846 hotel has casual rooms, a restaurant, and a bar with weekend entertainment. It is 1.2 miles (1.9 km) from the showgrounds.
- Leighinmohr House Hotel. This Georgian hotel has simple rooms, formal dining, and a bar. It is 1.1 miles (1.8 km) from the showgrounds.
- Tullyglass Hotel and Residences. This elegant Victorian hotel has grand rooms and suites, event space, afternoon tea, and carvery dining. It is 1.4 miles (2.3 km) from the showgrounds.
- Oranmore House. This hotel has a restaurant and is located in a Georgian townhouse. It is 1.3 miles (2.1 km) from the showgrounds.
- Travellers Rest. This bed and breakfast is located in a 19th-century cottage and has free parking. It is 1.3 miles (2.1 km) from the showgrounds.
How to get to Ballymena Showgrounds, Ballymena football ground
- By car: The Showgrounds are located at Warden Street, Ballymena, BT43 7DP. The postcode is useful for navigation apps like Google Maps. If you’re coming from the south, you can take the M2 north until you see signs for the A26 for Ballymena. Turn right at the roundabout onto the A26 for Ballymena and follow straight ahead until the Seven Towers Roundabout. Take the second exit onto Warden Street and the Showgrounds will be on your left.
- By bus: There are several bus services that stop near the Showgrounds. The Ulsterbus 235 service runs from Belfast to Ballymena and stops at the Showgrounds on Warden Street. The Translink Goldline 300 service also runs from Belfast to Ballymena and stops at the Showgrounds.
- By train: The nearest train station to the Showgrounds is Ballymena Railway Station. The station is located on Railway Road, Ballymena, BT43 5ED. From the station, it’s a short walk to the Showgrounds.
Here are some additional details about each method of transportation:
- By car: The drive from Belfast to Ballymena Showgrounds takes about 45 minutes. There is a car park at the Showgrounds, but it can get busy on match days and other events.
- By bus: The bus journey from Belfast to Ballymena Showgrounds takes about an hour. The bus stops at the Showgrounds on Warden Street, which is a short walk from the entrance to the venue.
- By train: The train journey from Belfast to Ballymena Railway Station takes about 30 minutes. From the station, it’s a short walk to the Showgrounds.
Things to do near Ballymena Showgrounds
- People’s Park: This is a large park with a variety of things to see and do, including a bowling green, tennis courts, a children’s playground, and a bandstand. There are also several walking trails through the park, which offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
- Mid-Antrim Museum: This museum tells the story of the Mid-Antrim area, from its earliest history to the present day. There are exhibits on everything from local industries to the history of the Troubles. The museum also has a theater, which hosts a variety of performances throughout the year.
- Memorial Park: This park is a memorial to the people of Ballymena who died in World War I. It has a large central fountain, as well as a number of smaller gardens and walkways. The park is also home to a war memorial, which lists the names of the local men who died in the war.
- Gracehill Village: This village is a short drive from Ballymena and is a great place to wander around and explore. There are a number of shops and cafes in the village, as well as a traditional pub. Gracehill Village is also home to Gracehill Moravian Church, which is a beautiful example of Moravian architecture.
- Cushendun: This village is located on the Antrim coast and is a popular tourist destination. The village is known for its stunning scenery, including Cushendun Caves and the Cushendun Glen. There are also a number of restaurants and cafes in Cushendun, making it a great place to stop for lunch or dinner.