The Showgrounds (Coleraine) guide
The Showgrounds is a football stadium in Coleraine, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland. It is the home ground of Coleraine F.C. The stadium holds approximately 3,500 with the stadium consisting of a mix of terracing and seating.
Table of Contents
The stadium was opened in 1907 and has been the home of Coleraine F.C. since then. It has also been used by Derry City F.C. on a temporary basis during the Troubles in Northern Ireland.
The Showgrounds is a simple stadium with a single stand, the Main Stand, which runs along one side of the pitch. The stand has a capacity of 1,400 and is covered by a cantilever roof. The rest of the stadium is made up of terracing.
The Showgrounds is located in the heart of Coleraine, close to the town centre. It is easily accessible by car, bus, and train. The Showgrounds is a historic stadium with a rich history. It is a popular venue for football matches and other events, and it is sure to continue to be a popular destination for fans for many years to come.
Pubs near The Showgrounds, home of Coleraine FC
- Railway Arms is a popular pub with a wide selection of beers and whiskies. It’s located just a 5-minute walk from the stadium. Address: 53 Railway Rd, Coleraine BT52 1PF. Phone: 028 7034 2391.
- The Clyde Tavern is another great option for a pre-match pint. It’s a bit further from the stadium, but it’s worth the walk for the friendly atmosphere and the delicious food. Address: 40 Railway Rd, Coleraine BT52 1PF. Phone: 028 7035 8833.
- Johnstons Bar is a family-run pub that’s been serving the people of Coleraine for over 100 years. It’s a great place to watch the match or just relax with a drink. Address: 53 Railway Rd, Coleraine BT52 1PF.
Hotels near The Showgrounds, Coleraine, County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
- The Lodge Hotel is a contemporary hotel offering free Wi-Fi & parking, plus a bistro & a cosy restaurant. It is 1.8 miles from The Showgrounds Coleraine.
- Riverside Hotel Coleraine is a 3-star hotel located on the banks of the River Bann. It has a fitness centre, a sauna, and a steam room. The hotel is 2.0 miles from The Showgrounds Coleraine.
- Bushtown Hotel is a family-run hotel located in the Drumcroon area of Coleraine. It has a swimming pool, a sauna, and a steam room. The hotel is 1.2 miles from The Showgrounds Coleraine.
- The Grange B&B is a bed and breakfast located in the Grange area of Coleraine. It has free Wi-Fi and parking. The B&B is 1.1 miles from The Showgrounds Coleraine.
Here are some other hotels that are a bit further away from The Showgrounds Coleraine, but still within a reasonable distance:
- Inn on the Coast is a 4-star hotel located in Portrush, which is 5.3 miles from The Showgrounds Coleraine. It has a spa, a fitness centre, and a swimming pool.
- Me & Mrs Jones is a boutique hotel located in Portstewart, which is 6.9 miles from The Showgrounds Coleraine. It has a restaurant, a bar, and a terrace.
How to get to The Showgrounds, Coleraine football ground
- By car: The Showgrounds is located at Ballycastle Road, Coleraine, BT52 2DY. If you are coming from the north, take the A26 towards Coleraine. If you are coming from the south, take the A2 towards Coleraine. The stadium is well signposted. There is a car park at the stadium with a capacity of 500 cars.
- By bus: The nearest bus stop to The Showgrounds is the Coleraine Railway Station Bus Interchange. There are buses that run from Belfast, Derry, and other towns in Northern Ireland. The bus journey from Belfast takes approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- By train: Coleraine Railway Station is located just a short walk from The Showgrounds. There are trains that run from Belfast, Derry, and other towns in Northern Ireland. The train journey from Belfast takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Here are the directions to The Showgrounds from Coleraine Railway Station:
- Walk out of the station and turn left onto Railway Road.
- Walk for 50 meters and turn right onto Ballycastle Road.
- The Showgrounds will be on your left-hand side.
Things to do near The Showgrounds, Coleraine
- Castlerock Beach: This beautiful beach is a short walk from The Showgrounds and is a great place to relax, swim, or go for a walk.
- Downhill Beach: This is another stunning beach located just a few miles from Coleraine. It’s a great place to watch the sunset or go for a hike in the nearby dunes.
- Downhill Demesne & Hezlett House: This National Trust property is home to a beautiful Georgian mansion, stunning gardens, and a working farm. There are also plenty of walking trails in the demesne, making it a great place to explore the outdoors.
- The Cranagh Activity Centre: This is a great place for kids of all ages to let off some steam. There are indoor and outdoor play areas, as well as a climbing wall and a giant slide.
- Alley Cats Play Centre: This is another great indoor play centre for kids. There are slides, ball pits, a soft play area, and a cafe.
- Cheeky Chimps: This is a treetop adventure park with over 50 challenges to complete. It’s a great way to get some exercise and have some fun.
- Mountsandel Wood: This is a beautiful woodland area with plenty of walking trails. There are also a number of historical features in the wood, including the ruins of an old castle.
These are just a few ideas of things to do near The Showgrounds Coleraine. With so many great options to choose from, you’re sure to find something to keep you entertained.