The Showgrounds (Newry) guide
The Showgrounds is a football stadium in Newry, County Down, Northern Ireland. It was the home ground of Newry City F.C. and is now the home ground of their successor club, Newry City A.F.C. The stadium holds 7,949, but is currently restricted to 2,275 under safety legislation.
Table of Contents
The stadium is located in the Greenbank Industrial Estate on the Warrenpoint Road, close to the Down GAA home stadium of Páirc Esler. It was opened in 1923 and has undergone several renovations since then, most recently in 2009.
The Showgrounds has hosted a number of international matches, including the 2005 UEFA European U-19 Football Championship and the 2008 UEFA European U-19 Football Championships qualifying fixtures. It is also used for training by a number of local clubs.
The stadium has two stands, the Main Stand and the Railway End. The Main Stand is a covered stand with a capacity of 650 seats. The Railway End is an uncovered terrace with a capacity of 1,625.
The Showgrounds is a popular venue for football matches and is well-maintained. It is a good example of a traditional football stadium and is a valuable asset to the city of Newry.
Pubs near The Showgrounds, home of Newry City FC
- The Windmill Bar is a popular pub with a wide selection of beers on tap. It has a lively atmosphere and is a great place to watch a match. Address: 46 Church St, Newry BT34 2AU. Phone: 028 3026 5751.
- Jean Crozier’s is a traditional Irish pub with a warm and friendly atmosphere. It serves good food and has a wide selection of whiskies. Address: 16 Upper Water St, Newry BT34 1DJ. Phone: 028 3026 4563.
- The Bridge Bar is a popular pub with a large beer garden. It hosts live music events and is a great place to socialize. Address: 55 North St, Newry BT34 1DD. Phone: 028 3026 1777.
Hotels near The Showgrounds, Newry, County Down, Northern Ireland
- Lismore House Bed and Breakfast. This bed and breakfast is located in a quiet residential area, just a 10-minute walk from The Showgrounds. It has a garden, free parking, and free Wi-Fi.
- Canal Court Hotel. This hotel is located on the banks of the Newry Canal, just a 5-minute walk from The Showgrounds. It has a spa, a fitness centre, and a restaurant.
- Highfields B & B Newry. This bed and breakfast is located in a central location, just a 15-minute walk from The Showgrounds. It has free Wi-Fi and a continental breakfast.
- Flagstaff Lodge. This lodge is located in a quiet area, just a 10-minute drive from The Showgrounds. It has a bar, a restaurant, and a garden.
Here are some other hotels that are slightly further away from The Showgrounds but still within walking distance:
- Killeavy Castle Estate. This castle hotel is located in the countryside, about a 20-minute drive from The Showgrounds. It has a golf course, a spa, and a restaurant.
- Mourne Country Hotel. This hotel is located in the Mourne Mountains, about a 30-minute drive from The Showgrounds. It has a swimming pool, a sauna, and a restaurant.
How to get to The Showgrounds, Newry City football ground
- The stadium is located on the Warrenpoint Road, just off the A1.
- There is a large car park at the stadium, which is free to use for match days.
- If you are coming from the south, take the A1 north towards Newry. Exit at Junction 13 and follow the signs for The Showgrounds.
- If you are coming from the north, take the A1 south towards Newry. Exit at Junction 14 and follow the signs for The Showgrounds.
- Bus Éireann operates a number of services to The Showgrounds.
- The nearest bus stop is on the Warrenpoint Road, just outside the stadium.
- The bus stop is served by services 32, 33, and 34.
- The nearest train station is Newry Train Station.
- The station is a short walk from The Showgrounds.
- There are regular train services to Newry from Belfast, Dublin, and other cities in Northern Ireland.
Here are some directions to The Showgrounds from different parts of Newry:
- From the city centre, take the Warrenpoint Road north for about 1.5 kilometres. The stadium will be on your right.
- From the Newry bypass, take the exit for the Warrenpoint Road. The stadium will be on your left after about 1 kilometre.
- From Bessbrook, take the A1 south to Newry. Exit at Junction 14 and follow the signs for The Showgrounds.
Things to do near The Showgrounds in Newry, Northern Ireland
- Newry Cathedral: This beautiful cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dromore. It was built in the 19th century and is worth a visit for its architecture and history.
- Newry Canal Museum: This museum tells the story of the Newry Canal, which was the first summit-level canal in Ireland. It opened in 1742 and was an important part of the Industrial Revolution in Ireland.
- Newry City Walls: These walls were built in the 16th century to defend the town from attack. They are well-preserved and offer great views of the town.
- Newry Market Square: This is the heart of the city and is a great place to do some shopping or just wander around and people-watch.
- Newry Museum of Art: This museum houses a collection of art from around the world, including paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts.
- Slieve Gullion: This mountain is a popular spot for hiking, biking, and rock climbing. It offers stunning views of the surrounding countryside.
These are just a few suggestions, but there are many other things to do in Newry and the surrounding area. So, whether you’re interested in history, culture, or outdoor activities, you’re sure to find something to keep you entertained.