Oriel Park guide
Oriel Park is a UEFA Category 2 football stadium located on the Carrickmacross Road in Dundalk, Ireland. It is the home ground of Dundalk Football Club and has a capacity of 4,500. The stadium was opened in 1919 and has been the scene of many memorable matches.
Table of Contents
Oriel Park is a traditional football stadium with a terracing on one side and a stand on the other. The stand has been renovated in recent years and now has a capacity of 3,000. The stadium is also equipped with floodlights, which allow it to host night matches.
Oriel Park is located in a convenient location, just a short walk from Dundalk town centre. The stadium is also well-served by public transport, with Dundalk-Clarke railway station just 500 metres away.
Oriel Park is a popular venue for both domestic and European matches. The stadium is always full to capacity for Dundalk’s home games and the atmosphere is electric. If you are ever in Dundalk, be sure to catch a match at Oriel Park. You won’t be disappointed.
Pubs near Oriel Park, home of Dundalk FC
- Kennedy’s Bar is a popular spot for both locals and tourists. It has a wide selection of beers on tap, as well as traditional Irish food. Address: Demesne, Dundalk, Co. Louth, Ireland. Phone: +353 42 939 3999.
- Courtneys Public Bar is a smaller, more intimate pub with a friendly atmosphere. It’s a great place to go for a pint and some craic. Address: 44 Park St, Townparks, Dundalk, Co. Louth, A91 YPY5, Ireland. Phone: +353 42 932 6652.
- The Wee House is a traditional Irish pub with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. It’s a great place to go to experience Irish culture. Address: 20 Anne St, Townparks, Dundalk, Co. Louth, Ireland. Phone: +353 42 933 5359.
- The Jockeys is a popular pub for Dundalk FC supporters. It’s a great place to go to watch a match or just enjoy a pint with friends. Address: 48 Anne St, Townparks, Dundalk, Co. Louth, A91 PT63, Ireland. Phone: +353 42 933 4621.
- Windsor Bar and Restaurant is a bit more upmarket than the other pubs on this list. It has a great selection of food and wine, as well as a lively atmosphere. Address: Dublin St, Townparks, Dundalk, Co. Louth, Ireland. Phone: +353 42 933 8146.
All of these pubs are within a short walk of Oriel Park, so you’re sure to find one that’s perfect for you.
Hotels near Oriel Park in Dundalk, Ireland
- Imperial Hotel. This 4-star hotel is located in the heart of Dundalk, just a 5-minute walk from Oriel Park. It has a rooftop bar with stunning views of the town, as well as a restaurant, a gym, and a spa.
- Innisfree House. This charming guesthouse is located in a quiet residential area, just a 10-minute walk from the stadium. It has spacious rooms with free Wi-Fi, as well as a lounge with a fireplace.
- Glen Gat Guesthouse. This family-run guesthouse is located in a Victorian townhouse, just a 15-minute walk from Oriel Park. It has simple rooms with free Wi-Fi, as well as a full Irish breakfast.
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Dundalk. This 4-star hotel is located on the outskirts of Dundalk, just a 5-minute drive from the football ground. It has a rooftop restaurant with panoramic views, as well as a bar, a gym, and a spa.
- Carrickdale Hotel & Spa. This 5-star hotel is located in Carlingford, a short drive from Dundalk. It has luxurious rooms, a spa, a golf course, and a number of restaurants.
How to get to Oriel Park, Dundalk football ground
- By train: Dundalk-Clarke railway station is located just 500 meters from Oriel Park. Trains from Dublin Connolly arrive every 30 minutes, and the journey takes around 1 hour.
- By bus: Bus Éireann route 166 from Dundalk bus terminus to Carrickmacross stops at Dundalk-Clarke railway station, which is a short walk from Oriel Park. Buses run every hour, and the journey takes around 15 minutes.
- By car: Oriel Park is located on the R178 Carrickmacross Road, just south of the town centre. There is paid parking available at the railway station, or on-street parking in the surrounding area.
- On foot: Oriel Park is a short walk from the town center, or from Dundalk-Clarke railway station.
Here are some directions on how to get to Oriel Park from different locations:
- From Dublin: Take the M1 motorway north to Dundalk. Exit at junction 16 and follow the signs for Dundalk town center. Turn right onto the R178 Carrickmacross Road and Oriel Park will be on your left.
- From Belfast: Take the M1 motorway south to Dundalk. Exit at junction 17 and follow the signs for Dundalk town center. Turn left onto the R178 Carrickmacross Road and Oriel Park will be on your left.
- From Drogheda: Take the N12 road south to Dundalk. Turn right onto the R178 Carrickmacross Road and Oriel Park will be on your left.
Things to do near Oriel Park in Dundalk, Ireland
- Visit the County Museum Dundalk. This museum is housed in a restored 18th century warehouse and features archaeological exhibits, art performances, and a heritage centre.
- Explore Stephenstown Pond. This park and garden is a popular spot for fishing, walking, and picnicking. There is also a coffee shop on site.
- Go for a hike in the Carlingford Mountains. These mountains offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside. There are several trails to choose from, ranging from easy to challenging.
- Visit Carlingford Castle. This 12th century castle is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Dundalk. It is located in the town of Carlingford, which is about 15 minutes from Oriel Park.
- Take a walk along the Carlingford Lough. This lough is a beautiful body of water that is surrounded by hills and forests. There are several walking trails that follow the lough, making it a great place to go for a stroll or hike.
- Visit the Cuan Arts Centre. This arts centre hosts a variety of exhibitions, performances, and workshops. It is located in the heart of Dundalk, just a short walk from Oriel Park.
I hope this gives you some ideas for things to do near Oriel Park!