Weavers Park guide
Weavers Park, formerly known as United Park, is a football stadium in Drogheda, Ireland. It is the home ground of League of Ireland side Drogheda United. The stadium has a capacity of 2,000 (1,500 seated) and is located on Windmill Road, north of Drogheda Town Centre.
Table of Contents
The stadium was officially opened on 12 August 1979 with a friendly against Queens Park Rangers F.C. It has also hosted five Republic of Ireland under-21 national football team games and other international underage games including games in the 1994 UEFA European Under-16 Football Championship.
In 2023, the stadium was renamed Weavers Park after a sponsorship deal with the Weavers bar, restaurant and venue in Drogheda. The Weavers is named after a very traditional art from Drogheda’s past and the club hopes to honour that with various cultural events throughout the season.
Weavers Park is a basic stadium with a single stand on the west side of the pitch. There are terracing on the other three sides of the ground. The stadium is well-maintained and has a good atmosphere on matchdays.
Pubs near Weavers Park, home of Drogheda United FC
- Mother’s is a 5-minute walk from the stadium and is a popular spot for pre-match pints. They have a wide selection of beers on tap, as well as a good food menu. Address: 65 North Rd, Moneymore, Drogheda, Co. Louth, A92 PPC9, Ireland. Phone: +353 41 975 1313.
- Windmill House is next door to the stadium and is a great place to watch the game. They have a large beer garden and a lively atmosphere. Address: 42 Windmill Rd, Moneymore, Drogheda, Co. Louth, A92 Y5TK, Ireland. Phone: +353 41 983 7145.
- Gleesons is a bit further from the stadium, but it’s a great place to go for a traditional Irish pub experience. They have a wide selection of whiskeys and a warm, friendly atmosphere. Address: 64 West St, Downtown Drogheda, Drogheda, Co. Louth, Ireland. Phone: +353 41 983 2662.
- The Grey Goose is a popular spot in the town centre and is a great place to go for a night out. They have a wide selection of beers and spirits, as well as live music on weekends. Address: 89 West St, Downtown Drogheda, Drogheda, Co. Louth, A92 XF67, Ireland. Phone: +353 41 980 5555.
- JB’s Bar is another popular spot in the town centre and is a great place to go for a pint and a bite to eat. They have a good selection of beers on tap, as well as a wide variety of food options. Address: 79 West St, Ballsgrove, Drogheda, Co. Louth, A92 XH95, Ireland.
Hotels near Weavers Park, Drogheda
- The D Hotel is a 4-star hotel with airy, contemporary rooms and suites. It has a gastropub and a games room. It is 1.1 miles (1.8 km) from Weavers Park.
- Peggy Moores Pub & Hostel is a pub and hostel with basic guestrooms and dorms. It is 0.6 miles (1 km) from Weavers Park.
- Spoon and the Stars Hostel is a hostel with basic guestrooms and dorms. It is 0.7 miles (1.1 km) from Weavers Park.
- The Westcourt Hotel is a 3-star hotel with simple, modern rooms. It has a hip restaurant, a casual bar and a trendy nightclub. It is 0.8 miles (1.3 km) from Weavers Park.
How to get to Weavers Park, Drogheda
Weavers Park is located at Windmill Road, Drogheda, County Louth, A92 F98X. Here are some ways to get there:
- By car: Weavers Park is about a 10-minute drive from Drogheda town centre. There is a small car park at the stadium, but it can get crowded on match days. There are also a number of pay-and-display car parks in the area.
- By bus: Bus Éireann route 121 stops at Windmill Road, just a short walk from the stadium. You can also get to Weavers Park by taking the train to Drogheda station and then walking or taking a bus.
- By bike: Weavers Park is a short cycle from Drogheda town centre. There are a number of cycle paths in the area, including the Boyne Greenway.
If you are coming to Weavers Park for a match, it is advisable to arrive early as parking can be limited. There is also a shuttle bus service that runs from Drogheda town centre to the stadium on match days.
Here are some directions to Weavers Park from different locations:
- From Drogheda town centre: Head north on West Street towards the Boyne. Turn left onto Windmill Road and the stadium will be on your right.
- From the M1 motorway: Take exit 11 and follow the signs for Drogheda town centre. At the roundabout, take the first exit onto Pearse Street. Turn left onto West Street and then right onto Windmill Road.
- From Dublin: Take the M1 motorway north towards Drogheda. Take exit 11 and follow the signs for Drogheda town centre. At the roundabout, take the first exit onto Pearse Street. Turn left onto West Street and then right onto Windmill Road.
Things to do near Weavers Park, Drogheda
- Visit Millmount Fort and Museum. This 15th-century fort offers stunning views of the town and the surrounding countryside. The museum on-site tells the story of Drogheda’s history, from its Viking origins to the present day.
- Explore the Boyne Valley. The Boyne Valley is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and it’s home to some of Ireland’s most important archaeological sites, including Newgrange, Knowth, and Dowth. You can take a boat trip on the Boyne River, visit the ancient sites, or go for a hike in the beautiful countryside.
- Go shopping in Drogheda. Drogheda has a wide variety of shops, from independent boutiques to chain stores. You can find everything from clothes and souvenirs to food and gifts.
- Enjoy the nightlife in Drogheda. Drogheda has a vibrant nightlife scene, with something to suit everyone. There are pubs, clubs, and restaurants open late, so you can party the night away.
- Visit the Old Town. The Old Town is the historic heart of Drogheda, and it’s a great place to wander around and explore. There are narrow streets, old buildings, and plenty of history to discover.
These are just a few ideas for things to do near Weavers Park, Drogheda United. There are many other things to see and do in this beautiful town, so you’re sure to have a great time.