Firhill Stadium guide
Firhill Stadium is a football stadium in the Maryhill area of Glasgow, Scotland. It has been the home of Partick Thistle since 1909. The stadium has a capacity of 10,887, comprising of three seated stands, with no stand at the south end of the ground.
Table of Contents
The stadium was originally built in 1909, and has been renovated several times since then. The most recent renovation was completed in 2002.
In addition to Partick Thistle, Firhill Stadium has also been used as a temporary home by three other football clubs: Clyde, Hamilton Academical, and Queen’s Park.
Firhill Stadium is located just under 1.5 miles from Glasgow’s city centre. It is accessible by bus, subway, and car.
Pubs near Firhill Stadium, home of Partick Thistle
- Munn’s is a traditional Scottish pub located just a 5-minute walk from the stadium. It is a popular spot for home fans before and after matches, and is known for its friendly atmosphere and good value drinks. Address: 610 Maryhill Rd, Glasgow G20 7ED. Phone: 0141 237 3304.
- The Woodside Inn is another popular pub for home and away fans, located about a 10-minute walk from the stadium. It has a large beer garden and serves food, making it a great option for a pre-match meal. Address: 239 Maryhill Rd, Glasgow G20 7YB. Phone: 0141 332 4528.
- Star & Garter is a smaller pub located about a 15-minute walk from the stadium. It is a bit more low-key than Munn’s or The Woodside Inn, but is still a great place to catch a game and enjoy a few pints. Address: 687 Garscube Rd, Glasgow G20 7JX. Phone: 0141 332 4358.
- The Aitken Suite is a bar located inside Firhill Stadium. It is open to both home and away fans, and offers a wide range of drinks and food.
If you are an away fan, there are also a few pubs in the city centre that are popular with visiting fans. These include:
- The Horseshoe Bar is a traditional Scottish pub located on Drury Street. It is known for its wide selection of whiskies and ales. Address: 17-19 Drury St, Glasgow G2 5AE. Phone: 0141 248 6368
- The Ark is a modern pub located on North Frederick Street. It has a large beer garden and serves food, making it a great option for a pre-match meal. Address: North Frederick Street, Glasgow G1 2BS. Phone: 0141 559 4331.
Hotels near Firhill Stadium in Glasgow, Scotland
- Albion Hotel is a 4-star hotel located in the West End of Glasgow, just a 20-minute walk from the stadium. It has colourful bedrooms with free Wi-Fi and offers cooked breakfasts and period features.
- Ambassador Hotel is a 3-star hotel located in the Kelvingrove area of Glasgow, just a 10-minute walk from the stadium. It has understated quarters with cable TV, free Wi-Fi and minifridges in a Georgian townhouse with a patio.
- Hotel du Vin Glasgow is a 4-star hotel located in the city centre of Glasgow, about a 15-minute walk from the stadium. It has upscale rooms and suites in a Victorian hotel offering a refined bistro, a posh bar and a garden.
- Glasgow Grosvenor Hotel is a 4-star hotel located in the West End of Glasgow, about a 20-minute walk from the stadium. It has warmly furnished quarters in an upscale hotel offering a steakhouse, a gin bar and a lounge.
Here are some other hotels near Firhill Stadium:
- Dakota Glasgow
- Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Glasgow Central
- Acorn Hotel
- Kelvingrove Hotel
- Hampton by Hilton Glasgow Central
- Kimpton Blythswood Square Hotel
How to get to Firhill Stadium, Partick Thistle football ground
- From the south, take the M8 to junction 16 and follow the A81 signs to Maryhill. Turn right onto Firhill Road and the stadium will be on your left.
- From the north, take the M8 to junction 17 and follow the A81 signs to Maryhill. Turn right onto Firhill Road and the stadium will be on your left.
- The nearest train stations are Kelvinbridge and St. Georges Cross. Both stations are on the Glasgow Subway and are a short walk from the stadium.
- There are a number of buses that stop near Firhill Stadium. The nearest stops are Bonawe Street, Maryhill Road, and Kelvinbridge.
Here are some specific bus routes that stop near Firhill Stadium:
- Bus 3: Hope Street to Maryhill Road
- Bus 40: Clydebank to Summerston
- Bus 61: Anniesland to Maryhill Road
- Firhill Stadium is a short walk from Kelvinbridge and St. Georges Cross subway stations.
- The stadium is also a short walk from Maryhill Road and Bonawe Street.
Things to do near Firhill Stadium in Glasgow
- Visit Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. This is one of the largest and most popular museums in Scotland, with a collection of over 8,000 objects, including paintings, sculptures, and artifacts from around the world.
- Explore Ruchill Park. This is a large park with a variety of gardens, sports facilities, and a children’s play area. There are also several historic buildings in the park, including Ruchill House, which is now a museum.
- Go to a show at the Pavilion Theatre. This is a historic theatre that hosts a variety of performances, including plays, musicals, and concerts.
- Have a picnic in Queen’s Park. This is a large park with stunning views of the city. There are also several cafes and restaurants in the park, so you can easily grab a bite to eat.
- Visit the Hunterian Museum and Art Gallery. This museum is part of the University of Glasgow and houses a collection of over 300,000 objects, including fossils, archaeological finds, and works of art.
- Take a walk along the River Clyde. The River Clyde is a major river that flows through Glasgow. There are several walkways along the river, which are perfect for a leisurely stroll or a bike ride.
- Visit the Mackintosh House. This is the former home of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, one of Scotland’s most famous architects. The house is now a museum that showcases Mackintosh’s work.
- Go shopping in the West End. The West End is a trendy area of Glasgow with a variety of shops, cafes, and restaurants. There is also the Byres Road Arts Centre, which hosts a variety of cultural events.
- Visit the Tenement House. This is a restored tenement house that gives visitors a glimpse into the life of a working-class family in Glasgow in the early 20th century.
These are just a few ideas of things to do near Firhill Stadium. With so many options to choose from, you’re sure to find something to keep you entertained.