Tannadice Park guide
Tannadice Park is a football stadium in Dundee, Scotland. It is the home ground of Dundee United F.C., who have played at Tannadice since the club was founded as Dundee Hibernian in 1909. The stadium has been all-seated since 1994 and has a capacity of 14,223. It is located only 200 yards (183 metres) from Dundee F.C.’s stadium, Dens Park; the two are the closest senior football grounds in the UK.
Table of Contents
The stadium was previously known as Clepington Park, and was used by a number of local teams in the 19th century. It was the home of Dundee Wanderers F.C. from 1894 until 1909, including their single season in membership of the Scottish Football League (1894–95). The name of the ground was changed to Tannadice when Dundee Hibernian took over the lease in 1909.
Tannadice Park is a well-maintained stadium that is known for its atmosphere. The fans are known for their passionate support, and the stadium can be a daunting place for visiting teams. Tannadice Park is a proud part of Dundee’s sporting heritage, and it is sure to continue to be a popular venue for many years to come.
Pubs near Tannadice Park, home of Dundee United FC
- The Troll Inn is a traditional Scottish pub with a warm and inviting atmosphere. It’s located just a short walk from the stadium, and it’s a great place to go for a pre-match pint or a post-match celebration. Address: 17 Arklay St, Dundee DD3 7NJ. Phone: 01382 456346.
- The Barrels is a popular pub with a wide selection of beers and whiskies. It also has a good food menu, so you can grab a bite to eat before or after the game. Address: 45 Strathmartine Rd, Dundee DD3 7RW. Phone: 01382 828966.
- Halley’s Bar is a friendly and family-friendly pub with a relaxed atmosphere. It’s a great place to go if you’re looking for a more casual setting. Address: 22 Strathmartine Rd, Dundee DD3 7RJ. Phone: 01382 810440.
- The Commercial Hotel has large and spacious pub with a lively atmosphere. It’s a great place to go if you’re looking for a place to watch the game with a big group of friends. Address: 28 South St, Newtyle, Blairgowrie PH12 8UQ. Phone: 01828 650469.
These are just a few of the many pubs near Tannadice Park. No matter what you’re looking for, you’re sure to find a pub that’s perfect for you.
Hotels near Tannadice Park in Dundee, Scotland
- Travelodge Dundee Strathmore Avenue. This hotel is 0.8 miles from the stadium and offers free parking and a casual restaurant.
- Hotel Indigo Dundee, an IHG Hotel. This hotel is 0.9 miles from the stadium and is housed in a converted textile mill. It has a rooftop terrace with views of the city.
- Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa. This hotel is 1 mile from the stadium and has a spa, a restaurant, and a bar.
- Hampton by Hilton Dundee City Centre. This hotel is 1 mile from the stadium and offers free breakfast, a 24-hour gym, and a casual bar.
- Premier Inn Dundee Centre hotel. This hotel is 1.3 miles from the stadium and has a restaurant and a bar.
- Best Western Queen’s Hotel. This hotel is 1.2 miles from the stadium and has a restaurant, a bar, and a fitness centre.
How to get to Tannadice Park, Dundee United football ground
- By train: Dundee Station is the closest train station to Tannadice Park. It is about a 15-minute walk from the station to the stadium. You can also take bus 18 from the station to Tannadice Park.
- By bus: There are several buses that stop near Tannadice Park. Buses 1A, 22, and M92 all stop on Sandeman Street, which is just a short walk from the stadium.
- By car: There is a car park at Tannadice Park, but it can fill up quickly on match days. There are also some pay-and-display car parks in the surrounding area.
- On foot: Tannadice Park is located in the city centre of Dundee, so it is possible to walk to the stadium from most parts of the city.
Here are some specific directions for each method of transportation:
- From Dundee Station, walk out of the station and turn left onto Albert Square.
- Walk along Albert Square until you reach the junction with Sandeman Street.
- Turn right onto Sandeman Street and walk for about 5 minutes until you reach Tannadice Park.
- Take bus 1A, 22, or M92 to the Sandeman Street stop.
- Walk for about 5 minutes until you reach Tannadice Park.
- Follow the signs for the city centre.
- Once you reach the city centre, follow the signs for Tannadice Park.
- There is a car park at Tannadice Park, but it can fill up quickly on match days. There are also some pay-and-display car parks in the surrounding area.
Things to do near Tannadice Park, Dundee
- The McManus: Dundee’s Art Gallery & Museum. This Gothic revival building houses 19th-20th century Scottish art and local history/culture exhibits.
- Camperdown Wildlife Centre. This zoological park has animal and bird enclosures, a conservation zone, a picnic area, and a cafe.
- Dundee Museum of Transport. This museum tells the story of transport in Dundee, from the early days of horse-drawn carriages to the present day.
- Discovery Point. This museum is dedicated to the history of the Royal Navy and its ships. It is located on the banks of the River Tay, next to HMS Unicorn.
- Verdant Works. This former jute mill has been converted into a museum that tells the story of the jute industry in Dundee.
- The Tay Railway Bridge. This iconic bridge spans the River Tay and is one of the most famous landmarks in Scotland.
- Desperate Dan Statue. This statue of the comic strip character Desperate Dan is a popular tourist attraction.
- OOR Wullie Bronze Statue. This statue of the comic strip character OOR Wullie is another popular tourist attraction.
- Penguin Statues. These statues of penguins are located in various places around Dundee and are a popular photo opportunity.
I hope this gives you some ideas for things to do near Tannadice Park.