Galabank is a football stadium in the town of Annan, Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It is the home ground of Scottish Professional Football League club Annan Athletic, who have played there since 1953. The ground has been shared by non-League teams Mid-Annandale (2012–2014) and Edusport Academy (2015–2019).
Table of Contents
Galabank has a capacity of 2,504. The grass pitch was removed and a new 3G artificial surface was installed for the 2012–13 season. Between 2012 and 2014, Galabank was shared by South of Scotland League club Mid-Annandale, whose previous ground in Lockerbie had become unusable. Edusport Academy, playing in the South League and latterly the Lowland League, shared the ground from 2015 until opening their own Alliance Park ground within Strathclyde Country Park in 2019.
The stadium is located on North Street, Annan, and is easily accessible from the A75. There is a car park with space for over 200 cars, and there are also public transport links to the ground.
Galabank is a well-maintained stadium, and it has a good atmosphere on matchdays. The main stand is covered, and there are also a number of uncovered terracing areas. The social club is located next to the stadium, and it is a popular spot for fans before and after matches.
If you are ever in the Annan area, I would recommend taking a trip to Galabank to watch Annan Athletic play. It is a great place to watch football, and the atmosphere is always good.
Here are some other facts about Galabank:
- The stadium was originally built in 1953.
- The record attendance at Galabank is 4,000, set in a Scottish Cup tie against Queen of the South in 1964.
- Annan Athletic have won the Scottish League Two title twice, in 2008–09 and 2018–19.
- The stadium has been used for a number of other events, including concerts and rugby matches.
Pubs near Galabank, home of Annan Athletic FC
- The Anglers is a traditional pub with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. It serves up delicious pub food, as well as a wide range of beers and ales. Address: 61 High St, Annan DG12 6AD. Phone: 01461 206588.
- The Queensberry Arms Hotel is a historic pub with a beautiful interior. It’s a great place to enjoy a traditional pub lunch or dinner. Address: 47 High St, Annan DG12 6AD. Phone: 01461 758288.
- Our Place is a modern pub with a focus on local produce. It serves up delicious food and drinks, and has a great outdoor seating area. Address: 49 – 55 High St, Annan DG12 6AD. Phone: 01461 380390.
All of these pubs are within walking distance of Galabank, so you can easily get to them on foot.
Hotels near Galabank in Annan, Scotland
- Corner House Hotel is a 3-minute drive from Annandale Distillery and 7 minutes from The Devil’s Porridge. It has a restaurant, a coffee shop, and a bar.
- The Old Rectory is a 3-minute drive from Annandale Distillery and 7 minutes from The Devil’s Porridge. It has a complimentary full breakfast and free parking.
- The Powfoot Hotel is a 10-minute drive from Ruthwell Cross and Annandale Distillery. It has a terrace, a garden, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Cressfield Country Hotel is a 4-minute drive from Galabank and 7 minutes from Annan Museum. It has a restaurant, a bar, and a spa.
- Queensberry Arms Hotel is a 5-minute drive from Galabank and 8 minutes from Annan Museum. It has a restaurant, a bar, and a garden.
How to get to Galabank, Annan Athletic football ground
By car: Galabank is located at North Street, Annan, Dumfries & Galloway DG12 5DQ. If you are coming from the south, take the A75 to Annan and follow the signs for the town center. Once you reach the town center, turn left onto North Street and Galabank will be on your right.
By bus: There is a bus stop directly outside Galabank called “Galabank Football Ground”. Buses that stop here include the 556, 557, and 558. You can check the timetables for these buses on the Stagecoach website.
By train: The nearest train station is Annan Railway Station, which is about a 10-minute walk from Galabank. Trains to Annan run from Carlisle and Dumfries. You can check the timetables for these trains on the ScotRail website.
By foot: If you are coming from the town center, Galabank is about a 15-minute walk away. Simply follow North Street north until you reach the ground.
Here are some directions to Galabank from different locations:
- From Carlisle: Take the A75 south to Annan. Follow the signs for the town center and turn left onto North Street. Galabank will be on your right.
- From Dumfries: Take the A75 north to Annan. Follow the signs for the town center and turn right onto North Street. Galabank will be on your left.
- From Edinburgh: Take the M8 west to the A75. Follow the signs for the town center and turn right onto North Street. Galabank will be on your left.
Things to do near Galabank, Annan, Scotland
- Bouldover Climbing Centre: This indoor climbing centre has over 100 different routes, suitable for all levels of experience. There is also a bouldering area for those who want to try something a little different.
- Annandale Distillery: This distillery offers tours and tastings of their award-winning whisky. You can also visit the cafe for lunch or a coffee.
- Annan Museum: This museum tells the story of Annan’s history, from its Roman origins to the present day. There are also exhibits on local industries, such as shipbuilding and whisky distilling.
- The Devil’s Porridge Museum: This museum tells the story of the production of gunpowder in Annan during the 17th century. There are interactive exhibits and demonstrations, as well as a cafe and gift shop.
- RSPB Campfield Marsh Nature Reserve: This nature reserve is home to a variety of birds, including ducks, geese, and waders. There are also trails through the marshland, where you can see wildflowers and other plants.
- Ruthwell Cross: This 10th century cross is one of the most important pieces of early Christian art in Scotland. It is carved with biblical scenes and inscriptions.
- Kirkpatrick Fleming Parish Church: This church was built in the 17th century and is a fine example of Scottish architecture. It is also the burial place of the poet Robert Burns.
- Kirkpatrick-fleming War Memorial: This war memorial commemorates the men from Kirkpatrick Fleming who died in World War I. It is a striking piece of art, made of bronze and granite.
These are just a few of the many things to do near Galabank. With its rich history and beautiful countryside, there is something for everyone to enjoy.