Fir Park guide
Fir Park is a football stadium in Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, Scotland. It is the home of Scottish Premiership club Motherwell FC. The stadium was opened in 1895 and has a capacity of 13,742.
Table of Contents
The stadium has four stands: the Tommy McLean Stand, the Phil O’Donnell Stand, the Davie Cooper Stand, and the John Hunter Stand. The Tommy McLean Stand is the largest of the four stands, with a seated capacity of 4,500.
The stadium is located in a residential area of Motherwell, close to the M8 motorway. It is easily accessible by public transport, with regular bus services and a train station nearby.
Fir Park is a popular venue for football matches, concerts, and other events. It is a well-maintained stadium with a good atmosphere, and it is sure to provide a memorable experience for visitors.
Pubs near Fir Park, home of Motherwell FC, for home and away fans
- Windmill Tavern is a traditional Scottish pub located just a 5-minute walk from the stadium. It has a wide selection of beers on tap, as well as a good range of food. Address: 75 Windmillhill St, Motherwell ML1 1RY. Phone: 01698 276631.
- Club 100 is a popular bar with both home and away fans. It has a lively atmosphere on matchdays, and is a great place to meet up with friends before or after the game. Address: 13 Edward St, Motherwell ML1 2PP. Phone: 01698 262515.
- The Steelworks Bar & Grill is a more upmarket option, with a good selection of food and drinks. It is also a popular spot for live music. Address: Glencairn St, Motherwell ML1 1TT. Phone: 01698 268777.
All of these pubs are within walking distance of Fir Park, so you should be able to find one that’s convenient for you.
Please note that some of these pubs may have restrictions on away fans for high-profile matches, so it’s always best to check with the pub before you go.
Hotels near Fir Park Stadium in Motherwell, Scotland
- Premier Inn Glasgow (Hamilton) hotel. Unassuming hotel offering a restaurant & breakfast, as well as warm rooms with Wi-Fi.
- Ravens Cliff by Marston’s Inns. Hotel with a bar and restaurant, plus free Wi-Fi and parking.
- Holiday Inn Express Hamilton, an IHG Hotel. Unpretentious hotel offering free Wi-Fi & a breakfast buffet, plus a bar & a cafe.
- The Avonbridge. Hotel with an Italian restaurant & a bar, plus free Wi-Fi.
- Best Western Motherwell Centre Moorings Hotel. Hotel with a restaurant and bar, plus free Wi-Fi and parking.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Glasgow Strathclyde. Hotel with a fitness centre, indoor pool, and restaurant.
- Dakota Eurocentral. Hotel with a spa, bar, and restaurant.
How to get to Fir Park, Motherwell Football ground
- By car: Fir Park is located in Motherwell, Scotland, and is easily accessible by car. The stadium is just off the M74 motorway, at junction 6. There is a large car park at the stadium, but it can get busy on matchdays, so it is advisable to arrive early.
- By train: The nearest train stations to Fir Park are Airbles and Motherwell. Both stations are on the Argyle Line, which runs between Glasgow and Edinburgh. From either station, it is a short walk to the stadium.
- By bus: There are a number of bus routes that stop near Fir Park. The most convenient routes are the 240, 240X, and X11. These buses all stop at the bus stop on Airbles Road, which is just a few minutes’ walk from the stadium.
- On foot: If you are coming from Motherwell town centre, Fir Park is a short walk away. The stadium is located on Fir Park Street, which is just off of Airbles Road.
Here are some additional tips for getting to Fir Park:
- Check the traffic conditions before you travel. The M74 can be busy, especially on matchdays. If you are coming from Glasgow, it is advisable to allow extra time for your journey.
- Buy your tickets in advance. If you are planning on attending a match, it is advisable to buy your tickets in advance. This will help you avoid queuing at the stadium on the day of the match.
- Be aware of the stadium’s security measures. There are a number of security measures in place at Fir Park, including bag searches and metal detectors. Please be prepared to cooperate with these measures when you arrive at the stadium.
Things to do near Fir Park
- Visit Fir Park Stadium and watch a Motherwell FC match. The stadium is home to the Scottish Premiership club and has a capacity of 13,677.
- Explore Baron’s Haugh, a 160-hectare park with woodlands, meadows, and a river. There are also several walking and cycling trails in the park.
- Go for a walk or bike ride in Strathclyde Country Park, a large park with forests, lakes, and gardens. There is also a visitor center with exhibits on the park’s history and wildlife.
- Visit Discover Amazonia, a zoo with over 200 animals from South America. The zoo has a variety of exhibits, including a rainforest, a monkey enclosure, and a reptile house.
- See the Hamilton Mausoleum, a 19th-century mausoleum that is the final resting place of the Dukes of Hamilton. The mausoleum is located in Hamilton Park, which is also home to a number of other attractions, including a walled garden and a children’s play area.
- Go shopping in Motherwell, which has a number of shops, including high street stores, independent boutiques, and markets.
- Have a meal in Motherwell, which has a variety of restaurants serving food from all over the world.
These are just a few ideas of things you can do near Fir Park. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to find something to keep you entertained.