McDiarmid Park guide
McDiarmid Park is a stadium in Perth, Scotland, used mainly for association football. It has been the home ground of Scottish Premiership side St Johnstone since its opening in 1989. The stadium has an all-seated capacity of 10,696.
Table of Contents
The stadium has also been used for rugby union, including a full international between Scotland and Japan in 2004, several Scotland A fixtures, and some home matches of the former Caledonia Reds team.
Facilities at McDiarmid Park include parking for 1,000 cars and 100 coaches, a synthetic playing surface adjacent to the ground (which is used as the team’s training ground), and conference facilities within the Main (West) Stand.
The Main Stand also has greater leg room between rows of seats and includes an area with padded seats reserved for season-ticket holders, club officials and their guests.
Pubs near McDiarmid Park, home of St Johnstone FC
- The Glover Arms is a traditional Scottish pub located a short walk from the stadium. It’s a great place to enjoy a pint of beer and some traditional Scottish food. Address: Crieff Rd, Huntingtower Park, Perth PH1 3JJ. Phone: 01738 624888.
- The Foundry is a popular bar located in the city centre. It has a great selection of beers and cocktails, and it’s a great place to watch a match on TV. Address: 3 Murray St, Perth PH1 5PJ. Phone: 01738 636863.
- The Royal Bar is another popular bar located in the city centre. It’s a great place to enjoy a traditional Scottish pub experience. Address: 131 South St, Perth PH2 8PA.
- The Sandeman is a wine bar located in the city centre. It has a great selection of wines, and it’s a great place to enjoy a drink before or after the game. Address: 14-16 Kinnoull St, Perth PH1 5EN. Phone: 01738 443944.
- The Capital Asset (Wetherspoons) is a bar located on the banks of the River Tay. It has a great view of the river, and it’s a great place to enjoy a drink and some food. Address: 26 Tay St, Perth PH1 5LQ. Phone: 01738 580457.
- Greyfriars Bar is another bar located on the banks of the River Tay. It has a great view of the river, and it’s a great place to enjoy a drink and some food. Address: 15 South St, Perth PH2 8PG. Phone: 01738 633036.
These are just a few of the many pubs near McDiarmid Park. No matter what you’re looking for, you’re sure to find a pub to your liking.
Hotels near McDiarmid Park, Perth
- Leonardo Boutique Huntingtower Hotel Perth is a 4-star hotel located just 0.4 miles (0.6 km) from McDiarmid Park. It has a spa, a gym, and a restaurant.
- The Lodge At Perth Racecourse is a 4-star hotel located 1.2 miles (1.9 km) from McDiarmid Park. It has a bar, a restaurant, and a terrace.
- The Lovat Hotel is a 3-star hotel located 1.3 miles (2.1 km) from McDiarmid Park. It has a bar, a restaurant, and a garden.
- Travelodge Perth Broxden Junction is a budget hotel located 1.4 miles (2.3 km) from McDiarmid Park. It has a bar and a restaurant.
- Woodlea Guest House is a bed and breakfast located 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from McDiarmid Park. It has a garden and free parking.
- Parklands Boutique Hotel is a 4-star hotel located 1.6 miles (2.6 km) from McDiarmid Park. It has a spa, a gym, and a restaurant.
These are just a few of the many hotels near McDiarmid Park. You can find more hotels by searching online or using a travel app.
How to get to McDiarmid Park, St Johnstone football ground
- From the south, take the A9 towards Perth and follow the signs for the stadium.
- From the north, take the A9 towards Perth and follow the signs for the stadium.
- There is a car park at the stadium, but it can fill up quickly on match days.
- The nearest train station is Perth Station, which is a 25-minute walk from the stadium.
- There are regular trains from Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Dundee.
- There are several bus routes that stop near the stadium, including the number 1, 14, and 222.
- The bus stop is located on Hillyland Road, just a short walk from the stadium.
- Taxis are available from Perth city center and the train station.
- The fare to the stadium is around £5.
Here are some additional tips for getting to McDiarmid Park:
- If you are driving, allow plenty of time for traffic, especially on match days.
- If you are taking the train or bus, check the timetables in advance to make sure you do not miss your connection.
- There is a limited amount of parking at the stadium, so it is advisable to walk, take the bus, or get a taxi.
- The stadium is well signposted, so you should not have any difficulty finding your way there.
Things to do near McDiarmid Park in Perth, Scotland
- Visit the Black Watch Castle and Museum. This museum tells the story of the Black Watch, one of the most famous regiments in the British Army. The museum is located in Balhousie Castle, a 16th-century fortress.
- Explore Huntingtower Castle. This 15th-century castle is perched on a cliff overlooking the River Tay. The castle is a popular tourist destination, and it is also used as a filming location for movies and TV shows.
- Visit Scone Palace. This 12th-century palace is the former coronation site of Scottish kings. The palace is now a popular tourist destination, and it is also home to the Stone of Destiny, a sacred stone that was used in the coronation of Scottish kings.
- Go for a walk or bike ride along the River Tay. The River Tay is a beautiful river that flows through Perth. There are several paths along the river that are perfect for walking or biking.
- Visit the Perth Museum and Art Gallery. This museum has a collection of over 50,000 objects, including paintings, sculptures, and artifacts from around the world. The museum also has a special exhibition on the history of Perth.
- Have a picnic in the Fair Maid’s Park. This park is located in the heart of Perth, and it is a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors. The park has a playground, a pond, and a variety of flowers and trees.
- Take a day trip to the Scottish Highlands. The Scottish Highlands are a beautiful and rugged region that is located north of Perth. There are many things to see and do in the Highlands, including hiking, camping, and visiting historic sites.