Latham Park guide
Latham Park is a multi-purpose stadium in Newtown, Wales. It is currently used for football matches and is the home ground of Newtown F.C. The stadium holds 5,000 people and is named after former Wales international footballer George Latham.
Table of Contents
The Welsh Cup final has been hosted on two occasions at the ground and the Welsh League Cup final eight times. The ground is currently sponsored by Paveways and is known as Paveways Latham Park. In 2014 Newtown became the 2nd Welsh Premier League club, after The New Saints, to change their grass turf for a 3G Artificial Turf.
The stadium is located half a mile to the west of the town centre, and is sandwiched between two housing estates, a police station and a rolling hillside. The ground is quite compact, with the two main stands located behind each goal. The North Stand is a small, covered stand with around 200 seats, while the South Stand is a larger, open stand with terracing on both sides.
There is also a small seated stand in the corner of the ground, and a few rows of terracing behind the dugouts. The ground has a capacity of 5,000, but this is often reduced for safety reasons.
Latham Park is a popular venue for football matches, and it is also used for other events such as concerts and rugby matches. The stadium is well-maintained and provides a good atmosphere for spectators.
Pubs near Latham Park, home of Newtown AFC
- The Exchange is a 2.3-mile (3.7 km) walk from the park and has a wide selection of real ales, a dog-friendly garden, and a smoking area. It is also close to bus and train routes. Address: The Regent Centre, Broad St, Newtown SY16 2NA. Phone: 01686 624521.
- Elephant & Castle Hotel is a 2.3-mile (3.7 km) walk from the park and has a range of real ales, a restaurant, and a function room. It is also close to bus and train routes. Address: Broad St, Newtown SY16 2BQ. Phone: 01686 626271.
- Victoria Vaults is a 2.3-mile (3.8 km) walk from the park and has a selection of real ales, a garden, and live music. It is also close to bus and train routes. Address: 15 Broad St, Newtown SY16 2NA. Phone: 01686 626436.
- Black Boy is a 2.4-mile (3.8 km) walk from the park and has a range of real ales, a restaurant, and a smoking area. It is also close to bus and train routes. Address: 31-32 Broad St, Newtown SY16 2BQ. Phone: 01686 624369.
Hotels near Latham Park, Newtown, Wales
- Fieldhead Hotel is a 4-star hotel located in Newtown Linford, just a 10-minute drive from Latham Park. The hotel has a spa, a fitness centre, and a restaurant. It also has free Wi-Fi and parking.
- Horseshoe Cottage Farm is a bed and breakfast located in Newtown Linford, just a 5-minute drive from Latham Park. The B&B has a garden, free Wi-Fi, and parking. It also offers breakfast in the morning.
- Bybrook Barn Bed & Breakfast is a bed and breakfast located in Newtown Linford, just a 10-minute drive from Latham Park. The B&B has a garden, free Wi-Fi, and parking. It also offers breakfast in the morning.
- Premier Inn Leicester North West Hotel is a 3-star hotel located in Leicester, just a 15-minute drive from Latham Park. The hotel has a restaurant, a bar, and free Wi-Fi. It also has parking for a fee.
- Travelodge Leicester Markfield is a 2-star hotel located in Markfield, just a 10-minute drive from Latham Park. The hotel has a restaurant, a bar, and free Wi-Fi. It also has parking for a fee.
How to get to Latham Park, Newtown AFC football ground
- By car: Latham Park is located at Park Lane, Newtown, Powys, SY16 1EN. If you are coming from the A483, take the exit for Newtown and follow the signs for the town centre. Once you reach the town centre, follow the signs for Latham Park. There is a car park located next to the stadium.
- By bus: There are several bus services that stop near Latham Park. The nearest bus stop is on Park Lane, just outside the stadium. The bus services that stop here include the 53, 54, 55, and 56.
- By train: The nearest train station is Newtown railway station, which is located in the town centre. From the train station, it is a short walk to Latham Park.
Things to do near Latham Park, Newtown
- Visit the Newtown Heritage Centre. This museum tells the story of Newtown from its origins to the present day. It has a variety of exhibits, including a recreated Victorian street, a traditional Welsh kitchen, and a gallery of local art.
- Go for a walk or bike ride in the Berwyn Mountains. These mountains offer stunning views of the surrounding countryside. There are also a number of trails to choose from, so you can find one that suits your fitness level.
- Visit the Newtown Market. This market is held every Wednesday and Saturday, and it’s a great place to find fresh produce, local crafts, and other unique items.
- Explore the Newtown Canal. This canal was built in the early 19th century, and it’s now a popular spot for walking, fishing, and boating.
- Visit the Newtown Arts Centre. This arts centre hosts a variety of events, including theatre productions, concerts, and art exhibitions.
- Have a picnic in the grounds of Latham Park. This park is home to a variety of attractions, including a bandstand, a playground, and a boating lake.