The Oval guide
Sure. The Oval is a football ground in Caernarfon, Gwynedd, Wales. It is the home ground of Caernarfon Town Football Club, who play in the Welsh Premier League.
Table of Contents
The ground was built in 1888 and has a capacity of 2,500. It is a simple ground with a main stand on one side and open terracing on the other three sides. The main stand is covered and has seating for around 500 people. The Oval is located in a residential area of Caernarfon, close to the town centre. It is a short walk from the railway station and the bus station.
The Oval is a popular ground for supporters of Caernarfon Town. The atmosphere at matches is always good and the fans are known for their passionate support.
Here are some additional facts about The Oval:
- The ground is named after its oval shape.
- The record attendance at The Oval is 4,000, set in 1949 for a Welsh Cup match against Bangor City.
- The ground has been the subject of a number of redevelopment plans in recent years, but none of these plans have yet been implemented.
Pubs near The Oval, home of Caernarfon Town FC
- Palace Vaults is a relaxed pub serving fish and chips, burgers, and other pub favourites. It is about a 10-minute walk from The Oval. Address: 22 Palace St, Caernarfon LL55 1RR. Phone: 01286 238203.
- The Eagles is a traditional pub with a warm atmosphere. It is about a 10-minute walk from The Oval. Address: 5 Tithebarn St, Caernarfon LL55 2RF. Phone: 01286 674517.
- The Hole in the Wall is a small, friendly pub with a good selection of beers on tap. It is about a 15-minute walk from The Oval. Address: 5 Hole in the Wall St, Caernarfon LL55 1RF. Phone: 01286 669606.
If you’re looking for a pub in the town centre, here are a few more options:
- Tafarn Y Porth is a Wetherspoons pub with a wide selection of beers and food. It’s about a 20-minute walk from The Oval. Address: 5-9 Greengate St, Caernarfon LL55 1AG. Phone: 01286 662920.
- The Black Boy Inn is a traditional pub with a good atmosphere. It’s about a 20-minute walk from The Oval and is listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide. Address: Stryd Pedwar a Chwech, Caernarfon LL55 1RW. Phone: 01286 673604.
Hotels near The Oval, Caernarfon, Gwynedd, Wales
- Premier Inn Caernarfon hotel. Modern, en suite and family rooms in budget hotel with on-site restaurant and free WiFi.
- Celtic Royal Hotel. Plush 1794 hotel offering a Mediterranean brasserie, plus a gym, an indoor pool and function rooms.
- Black Boy Inn Hotel Caernarfon. A 17th-century coaching inn with a traditional pub, restaurant and rooms with free WiFi.
- Tŷ Dre Town House. A 16th-century townhouse with individually decorated rooms, a courtyard garden and a bistro.
- Victoria House B&B. A Victorian townhouse with spacious rooms, free parking and a continental breakfast.
How to get to the Oval, Caernarfon Town football ground
The Oval is located at Marcus Street, Caernarfon, LL55 2HT, Wales.
- By car: The stadium is located just off the A4085 road, about a 10-minute drive from the centre of Caernarfon. There is a small car park at the stadium, but it is limited, so it is advisable to arrive early if you are planning to drive.
- By bus: There are several bus routes that stop near The Oval, including the 5, 6, 7, and 8. The nearest bus stop is on Ffordd y Parc, about a 5-minute walk from the stadium.
- By foot: The Oval is within walking distance of the centre of Caernarfon. It is about a 15-minute walk from the castle, and a 20-minute walk from the train station.
If you are planning to travel to The Oval by public transport, I recommend checking the timetables in advance to make sure you arrive in time for the match.
Here are some additional tips for getting to The Oval:
- If you are driving, be aware that there is limited parking at the stadium. It is advisable to arrive early if you are planning to drive.
- If you are taking the bus, make sure to check the timetables in advance to make sure you arrive in time for the match.
- If you are walking, the stadium is within walking distance of the centre of Caernarfon. It is about a 15-minute walk from the castle, and a 20-minute walk from the train station.
Things to do near The Oval, Caernarfon, Wales
- Caernarfon Castle: This iconic 13th-century castle is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Wales. You can explore the castle’s many towers and chambers, or take a walk along the ramparts for stunning views of the town and the surrounding countryside.
- Dolmelynllyn Estate: This 18th-century estate is home to a beautiful Georgian mansion, a walled garden, and a forest. You can take a guided tour of the mansion, explore the gardens, or go for a walk in the forest.
- Llyn Ogwen: This lake is a popular spot for swimming, fishing, and kayaking. You can also go for a walk or cycle around the lake, or visit the nearby Ogwen Cottages for refreshments.
- Snowdonia National Park: This vast national park is home to stunning mountains, forests, and lakes. There are endless opportunities for hiking, biking, camping, and fishing in the park.
- Caernarfon Marina: This marina is a great place to go for a walk, have a picnic, or watch the boats go by. There are also a few restaurants and cafes in the marina, so you can grab a bite to eat or drink.