Dalymount Park guide
Dalymount Park is a football stadium in Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland. It is the home of Bohemian F.C., who have played there since the early 20th century. Affectionately known as Dalyer by fans, it was also historically the “home of Irish football”, holding many Irish internationals and FAI Cup finals.
Table of Contents
The stadium was originally common land with a large vegetable plot and known as Pisser Dignam’s Field until it was taken over by Bohemian F.C. It hosted its first game on 7 September 1901, between Bohemians and Shelbourne F.C. and in front of an attendance of around 5,000. Harold Sloan scored the first-ever goal at the ground in a 4–2 win for Bohs.
Dalymount Park has a capacity of 4,227, making it one of the smallest stadiums in the League of Ireland. However, it is a popular venue for fans, who appreciate its atmosphere and history. The stadium has been the subject of much discussion in recent years, with some calling for it to be demolished and replaced with a new stadium. However, others believe that Dalymount Park should be preserved as a historic landmark.
In 2023, Dalymount Park is undergoing a major redevelopment. The stadium will be expanded to a capacity of 6,000, and a new stand will be built. The redevelopment is expected to be completed in 2024.
Dalymount Park is a unique and historic stadium that is an important part of Irish football. It is a stadium that is loved by fans, and it is sure to continue to be a popular venue for many years to come.
Pubs near Dalymount Park, home of Bohemian FC, for home and away fans
- The Members’ Bar is the official pub of Bohemian FC, and it is located in the stadium itself. It is a great place to enjoy a drink and some conversation with other home and away fans. Address: Dalymount Park, Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland.
- The Phoenix Bar is another popular pub near Dalymount Park. It is a bit more lively than The 7 Lamps, and it is a great place to go if you are looking for a party atmosphere. The Phoenix Bar. Phone: +353 1 868 0923.
- The Jackie Jameson Bar is a newer addition to the Dalymount Park pub scene. It is named after the famous Irish whiskey brand, and it offers a wide selection of Jameson-branded beers, spirits, and cocktails.
- The Sunday Club is a popular spot for Bohemian FC fans to watch the match on TV. It is located in the Phibsborough area, just a short walk from the stadium.
- Doyles Corner is a popular spot for pre-match pints and has a good atmosphere. It is located just a short walk from the stadium. Address: 160/161 Phibsborough Rd, Phibsborough, Dublin 7, D07 R26N, Ireland. Phone: +353 1 699 1999
- The Hideout House is a smaller pub with a more intimate feel. It is located in a quiet street, just off the main road. Address: 1-2 Campbells Row, Dublin 1, D01 VP03, Ireland
These are just a few of the many pubs near Dalymount Park. No matter what your taste, you are sure to find a pub that you will enjoy.
Hotels near Dalymount Park in Dublin, Ireland
- Dublin One Hotel is a 4-star hotel located just a 5-minute walk from the stadium. It has a bar, restaurant, and fitness centre.
- Maples House Hotel is a family-run hotel located in Phibsborough, a short walk from Dalymount Park. It has a restaurant, bar, and garden.
- The Hendrick Smithfield is a boutique hotel located in Smithfield, a 10-minute walk from Dalymount Park. It has a bar, restaurant, and rooftop terrace.
- easyHotel Dublin City Centre is a budget hotel located in the city centre, a 15-minute walk from Dalymount Park. It has a 24-hour reception and free Wi-Fi.
- Egans Guesthouse is a family-run guesthouse located in Phibsborough, a short walk from Dalymount Park. It has en suite rooms and free Wi-Fi.
Here are some other hotels that are a bit further away from Dalymount Park but still within walking distance:
- Maldron Hotel Parnell Square
- Hotel 7
- Point A Dublin Parnell Street
- The Castle Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express Dublin City Centre, an IHG Hotel
How to get to Dalymount Park, Bohemian football ground guide
- By car: Dalymount Park is located at 31 Phibsborough Road, Dublin 7. If you’re driving from the city centre, take the North Circular Road (N Circular Rd) to the Phibsborough Road exit. Once you’re on the Phibsborough Road, follow the signs to Dalymount Park. There is paid parking available at the stadium.
- By bus: There are several bus routes that stop near Dalymount Park. The 155, 4, 46A, and 83 buses all stop at the Phibsborough Road stop, which is just a short walk from the stadium.
- By train: The nearest train station to Dalymount Park is Phibsborough Station. The DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) train line stops at Phibsborough Station, and it’s a short walk from the stadium.
- By bike: Dalymount Park is also a relatively easy bike ride from the city center. If you’re cycling, you can take the N Circular Rd to the Phibsborough Road, and then follow the signs to the stadium.
Once you arrive at Dalymount Park, you’ll find that the stadium is well-signposted. There are also several information points around the stadium where you can get help if you need it.
Dalymount Park is a historic football stadium in Phibsborough, Dublin, Ireland. It is the home ground of Bohemian F.C., and has also hosted many international matches and FAI Cup Finals.
Things to do at Dalymount Park
- Watch a football match. This is the most popular thing to do at Dalymount Park, and for good reason. The atmosphere at a Bohemians match is electric, and you’re sure to have a great time.
- Visit the Bohemians museum. The Bohemians museum is located in the Jodi Stand, and tells the story of the club’s history. It’s a great place to learn about the club’s famous players and their achievements.
- Take a tour of the stadium. There are regular tours of Dalymount Park, which give you a behind-the-scenes look at the stadium. You’ll get to see the dressing rooms, the press box, and even the pitch.
- Have a pint in the Bohs pub. The Bohs pub is located right next to the stadium, and is a great place to go before or after a match. The atmosphere is always lively, and the pints are cold.
- Explore the surrounding area. Dalymount Park is located in the Phibsborough neighbourhood of Dublin, which is a great place to explore. There are plenty of shops, restaurants, and bars in the area, and it’s a short walk to the Phoenix Park.
I hope this gives you some ideas of what to do at Dalymount Park. If you’re a fan of football, or if you’re just interested in Irish history, I highly recommend visiting this historic stadium.
Things to do near Dalymount Park
- Visit the National Botanic Gardens. The National Botanic Gardens are a beautiful and tranquil place to spend a few hours. There are over 15,000 different types of plants in the gardens, including a Victorian palm house and a Japanese garden.
- Explore Blessington Street Park (The Basin). Blessington Street Park is a small but charming park with a lake, a playground, and a variety of flowers and trees. It’s a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
- Visit Dublin Zoo. Dublin Zoo is home to over 4,000 animals from all over the world. There are a variety of exhibits to see, including the African Plains, the Fringes of the Arctic, and the Asian Forests.
- Take a walk through Phibsborough. Phibsborough is a vibrant and historic neighbourhood with a lot to offer visitors. There are shops, restaurants, and pubs to explore, as well as a number of historical landmarks.
- Go shopping in Smithfield Market. Smithfield Market is a traditional market that’s been in operation since the 17th century. You can find a wide variety of goods at the market, including fresh produce, meats, cheeses, and flowers.
- Visit the Croke Park Stadium. Croke Park is the home of Gaelic games in Ireland. It’s a massive stadium that can accommodate over 82,000 spectators. You can take a tour of the stadium or watch a game of Gaelic football or hurling.
These are just a few ideas of things to do near Dalymount Park. With so much to see and do, you’re sure to find something to keep you entertained.