The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park guide
The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park is a football stadium in Kilmarnock, Scotland. It is the home of Kilmarnock Football Club and has a capacity of 18,128.
Table of Contents
The stadium was originally built in 1899 and was originally called Rugby Park because it was used for both rugby and cricket matches. In 1995, the stadium underwent a major redevelopment and was converted into an all-seater stadium.
The stadium has three stands: the Chadwick Stand (North), the Ronnie Simpson Stand (East), and the Frank Beattie Stand (West). The Chadwick Stand is the largest stand and is home to the away fans. The Ronnie Simpson Stand is named after the former Kilmarnock goalkeeper who played for the club between 1959 and 1979. The Frank Beattie Stand is named after the former Kilmarnock captain who led the club to the Scottish League Championship in 1965.
The stadium has also been used for concerts, with Elton John playing to a crowd of 15,000 in 1996.
In 2014, the stadium was fitted with an artificial pitch. This was done in order to help the club generate more income from renting out the stadium for non-football events.
The BBPS Stadium Rugby Park is a well-maintained stadium and is a popular venue for both football and concerts. It is sure to continue to be a major landmark in Kilmarnock for many years to come.
Pubs near The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park, home of Kilmarnock FC
- First Edition is a pub, bar, and restaurant located in the heart of Kilmarnock. It has a wide selection of beers on tap, as well as a menu of pub food and Scottish cuisine. Address: 50 Bank St, Kilmarnock KA1 1HA. Phone: 01563 528833.
- The Clansman is a traditional Scottish pub located just a short walk from the stadium. It is a popular spot for pre-match drinks and has a lively atmosphere on match days. Address: 56 John Finnie St, Kilmarnock KA1 1BS. Phone: 01563 508318.
- Blues Restaurant is a fine dining restaurant located in The Park Hotel, which is adjacent to the stadium. It offers a modern take on Scottish cuisine and has stunning views of the surrounding area. Address: Park The Park Hotel, The Park Hotel Rugby, 2 Dundonald Pl, Kilmarnock KA1 1UR. Phone: 01563 545999.
- Pavilion at the Park is a family-friendly pub located in the stadium grounds. It has a large outdoor seating area, making it a great spot to enjoy a drink on a sunny day. Address: The Park Hotel, 2 Dundonald Pl, Kilmarnock KA1 1UR. Phone: 01563 545999.
- Varani’s Forum Cafe is a cafe located in the stadium grounds. It is a great place to grab a coffee or snack before or after a match. Address: 37 High Glencairn St, Ayrshire, Kilmarnock KA1 4AE. Phone: 01563 533194.
Pubs near The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park for away fans
- The Wheatsheaf Inn is a Wetherspoons pub located in the town centre, about a 10-minute walk from the stadium. It’s a popular spot for both home and away fans, and has a wide range of drinks and food on offer. Address: 70 Portland St, Kilmarnock KA1 1JG. Phone: 01563 572483.
- The Portmann Hotel Bar is located in the Portmann Hotel, which is just a short walk from the stadium. It’s a popular spot for pre-match drinks, and has a good selection of beers, wines, and cocktails. Address: 42 Portland Rd, Kilmarnock KA1 2DL. Phone: 01563 521814.
- First Edition is a newer pub located in the town centre, about a 10-minute walk from the stadium. It has a modern atmosphere and a good selection of beers, wines, and cocktails. Address: 50 Bank St, Kilmarnock KA1 1HA. Phone: 01563 528833.
These are just a few of the many pubs near The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park that are popular with away fans. With so many options to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect place to enjoy a drink and some pre-match banter before the big game.
Hotels near The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park in Kilmarnock, Scotland
- The Park Hotel is a 4-star hotel with a contemporary design. It has free Wi-Fi, a casual coffee shop, and a restaurant. It is located just 0.2 miles from the stadium.
- Premier Inn Kilmarnock is a budget hotel with a Brewers Fayre on-site family pub dining and free parking. It is located 0.3 miles from the stadium.
- The Portmann Hotel is a simple hotel with a bar and beer garden serving pub-style meals. It is located 0.4 miles from the stadium.
- Travelodge Kilmarnock is a budget hotel with relaxed rooms and complimentary parking. It is located 0.5 miles from the stadium.
Here are some other hotels that are slightly further away from the stadium, but still within walking distance:
- Ayrshire Hotel is a 4-star hotel with a spa and gym. It is located 0.7 miles from the stadium.
- Craig Tara Hotel is a 4-star hotel with a golf course and tennis courts. It is located 1 mile from the stadium.
- Kilmarnock Central Hotel is a 3-star hotel with a restaurant and bar. It is located 1.2 miles from the stadium.
How to get to The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park, Kilmarnock football ground
- By car: The stadium is located at Rugby Park, Rugby Road, Kilmarnock, KA1 3HG. There is a large car park at the stadium, which costs £5 to park.
- By train: Kilmarnock train station is a short walk from the stadium. The station is on the Ayrshire Coast Line, which runs between Glasgow Central and Ayr.
- By bus: There are several bus routes that stop near the stadium. The nearest bus stop is on Rugby Road, just outside the stadium.
- On foot: The stadium is located in a residential area, so it is possible to walk to the stadium from the town centre. The walk takes about 20 minutes.
Here are some specific directions for each method of transportation:
By car: From Glasgow, take the A77 south towards Kilmarnock. The stadium will be on your right, just after the train station.
- By train: From Glasgow Central, take the Ayrshire Coast Line train to Kilmarnock. The train station is a short walk from the stadium.
- By bus: From Glasgow, take the X75 bus to Kilmarnock. The bus stop is on Rugby Road, just outside the stadium.
- On foot: From Kilmarnock town center, walk south along Portland Street. Turn left onto Rugby Road and the stadium will be on your right.
The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park is a multi-purpose stadium in Kilmarnock, Scotland. It is the home of Kilmarnock Football Club and has a capacity of 18,128. The stadium has also been used for concerts, with Elton John playing to 15,000 in a first for the venue.
Things to do at The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park
- Watch a Kilmarnock FC match. This is the most popular thing to do at the stadium, of course. Kilmarnock FC is a Scottish Premiership club, so they play against some of the best teams in the country. The atmosphere at the stadium is always electric, so it’s a great way to experience Scottish football culture.
- Attend a concert. The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park has hosted a number of major concerts over the years, including Elton John, Rod Stewart, and The Spice Girls. If there’s a concert coming up that you’re interested in, be sure to get your tickets early.
- Take a tour of the stadium. The stadium offers guided tours that give you a behind-the-scenes look at the facilities. You’ll get to see the dressing rooms, the pitch, and the press box.
- Visit the Kilmarnock FC museum. The museum is located in the stadium and tells the story of Kilmarnock FC’s history. You’ll see trophies, old kits, and memorabilia from the club’s past.
- Have a drink at the stadium bar. The stadium has a number of bars where you can enjoy a drink before or after the match. There’s also a restaurant where you can get a bite to eat.
- Enjoy the views from the stadium. The stadium is located on a hill, so you get great views of the surrounding area. On a clear day, you can even see the Firth of Clyde.
Things to do near The BBSP Stadium Rugby Park
- Visit the Killie Forever Football Museum. This museum tells the story of Kilmarnock FC, from its founding in 1869 to the present day. There are exhibits on the club’s history, its players, and its trophies.
- Explore Howard Park. This park is located just a short walk from Rugby Park and offers a variety of activities, including a playground, a boating pond, and a putting green.
- Visit the Dick Institute. This museum is home to a collection of art, history, and natural history exhibits. There is also a library and a cafe on site.
- Go swimming at the Galleon Centre. This indoor pool complex has a variety of pools, including a wave pool, a lazy river, and a water slide.
- See a show at the Palace Theatre and Grand Hall. This theatre hosts a variety of performances, including plays, musicals, and concerts.
- Visit the Burns Monument Centre. This centre is dedicated to the life and work of Robert Burns, the famous Scottish poet. There are exhibits on Burns’s life, his poetry, and his impact on Scottish culture.
- Take a walk through Laigh Kirk. This 17th-century church is one of the oldest buildings in Kilmarnock. It is worth visiting for its beautiful architecture and its fascinating history.
- Visit the grave of Johnnie Walker. The founder of the famous whisky brand is buried in Kilmarnock. His grave is located in the town’s cemetery.